BAD FORD PCM's!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 05:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry BAD FORD PCM's!!!

I just had my truck into the dealer today to get the most recent update. They hooked my truck up and within 5 secounds of the new flash.....it freezes. The guy at ford tells me that there is a tech bullitin out on the PCM's on the diesels and that they do not know if they are bad untill they try to update the truck.

Well long story short my truck has a bad one in it, the windows will go up and down and the doors will unlock...thats pretty much it. They also told me that the part # has changed 3-5 times and that they would not have the new unit untill next tuesday or wednesday

So im without a truck and it seems im not going to be the only one with this problem, there has been others but i do not know how many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 05:18 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

there was a bulletin and i stress was , and the bulletin advised of a bad gliche in the software , not the pcm, that bulletin and software has been updated and no longer has been a problem as far as i know , the pcm's have never been the issue , any improper key cycle or click of the mouse during reprogramming can lock the 6.4 pcm up, sounds like a little butt covering to me , but as long as they fix it i guess thats all that matters
Old 05-21-2009, 05:22 PM

Well they say that they will fix it under warranty...gave me that for an excuse...but you are correct there is more to the story than what they will tell me.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:27 PM

With you being a tech scuffy, what have been the major problems with these trucks??
Old 05-21-2009, 05:28 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

well they have no choice but to fix at no charge to you , ill bet if someone that knew what they were doing could access the pcm there is a way of fooling the pcm to go complelety blank and the reinstalling what is called as built data , its a little bit of a hassle to basically fake out the pcm especially on an 08 , but there are times when it can be done , there are alot of guys that dont know the process , even when they recieve the new pcm it comes blank and will have to be programmed to your truck, so i hope they dont do it again
Old 05-21-2009, 05:32 PM

The way my luck is going the will **** it up.
How bad does these aftermakrket programmers screw with the setup with the DPF on?
Old 05-21-2009, 05:35 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08FX4RBP View Post
With you being a tech scuffy, what have been the major problems with these trucks??
these trucks havent really given any problems that i would consider problems , i see a great volume of trucks , and it seems sometimes like dern another radiator leak or gotta put another turbo on, but if i sit back and think of how many are sold compared to how many we see come back , its really not bad , the most common problem is the radiator leaking , i have put on a few turbos , ive put at least 12 engines in a 6.4 that were completely trashed , but the bad part is it wasnt fords fault , what i have seen with big problems ,is say radiator leaks , owner of truck never pops the hood or just dont care , pulls 15,000 lbs and never watches a gauge one , trashes the engine and then says well it didnt give a warning it just blew up, alot of fleet trucks where who knows whos gonna be driving it that day or do they even care if they trash it , so i guess what im saying is the biggest thing i see in any of these trucks is neglect , you take care of it and it will take care of you
Old 05-21-2009, 05:39 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08FX4RBP View Post
The way my luck is going the will **** it up.
How bad does these aftermakrket programmers screw with the setup with the DPF on?
a programmer isnt really gonna hurt anything , if you are looking for better mileage by putting a programmer on, your wasting your money, it wont pay for itself , the only way to get any better fuel mileage is to remove the dpf and then you may have warranty issues , so it all boils down to what you want , a programmer to get a little more power is fine , but you also have to think that the way to get more power from a diesel is more fuel, more fuel means more soot and more chance of the truck goin into regen alot more often
Old 05-21-2009, 05:40 PM

Im on the up and up when it comes to taking care of the truck. It just pisses me off i paid 55,000 for the truck and this happens.
Is the turbo problem(s) that you see just from neglect too?
Old 05-21-2009, 05:42 PM

yeah when that regen kicks in....the truck turns into a pig.....how does everyone tow when it kicks into regen?? Especially with the larger weights i see people pulling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.