Having a problem with the 6.4........... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Having a problem with the 6.4...........

......since I took it to the ford lot to have the ecm reflashed, and the gauge cluster update done.

I am getting a Trailer brake module fault, on the dash. I was not pulling a trailer when this happened. Took the truck back to the dealer and they said they need the truck for 3 days or so for diagnosis. I need to pull my trailer, is it safe? What could be wrong, any of you delt with this? HELP PLEASE.

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009, 05:48 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SGT4578 View Post
......since I took it to the ford lot to have the ecm reflashed, and the gauge cluster update done.

I am getting a Trailer brake module fault, on the dash. I was not pulling a trailer when this happened. Took the truck back to the dealer and they said they need the truck for 3 days or so for diagnosis. I need to pull my trailer, is it safe? What could be wrong, any of you delt with this? HELP PLEASE.

Chris
i dont see the reflash casuing the trailer brake problem, probably coincidence , its probably moisture in the connector at the big plug on the back of the truck , there is a new connector assembly for that if that turns out to be the problem
Old 06-11-2009, 03:12 PM

I am assuming you have already taken care of it but for the archive and search function:

Message center displaying "Wiring Fault On Trailer":
This may occur due to water intrusion/corrosion in the trailer connector socket or the connector behind the socket. If corrosion is present, replace the socket and harness and lube with silicone dielectric grease. If there are no signs of water, perform normal diagnosis. Broadcast Message 7052, 7108.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Emergency Services

actually, I have not gotten this resolved yet. It is really starting to put me in a bind. I dont have two or three days to be down in the truck for the idiot at the ford lot to troubleshoot it. Wish I could.

Chris
Old 07-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Emergency Services

ok finally had the time to let the ford lot troubleshoot. They diagnosed the TBC faulty and installed another. Started truck to leave the stealership and beep, trailer brake module fault on cluster again. Note: I still have not hooked to the trailer so I know the trailer has not caused the problem. HHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP

Chris
Old 07-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Maybe they did something when they put on the utility bed if that's the truck in the picture. Normally it's just corrosion in the connector assembly.

FYI, a lot of people on the forum that can help you out don't appreciate someone using stealership in their posts because they work for dealers and actually do try to fix problems.

Hope you can find the problem. We have tons of wiring problems with our trucks that had after market beds installed.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPhillips View Post
Maybe they did something when they put on the utility bed if that's the truck in the picture. Normally it's just corrosion in the connector assembly.

FYI, a lot of people on the forum that can help you out don't appreciate someone using stealership in their posts because they work for dealers and actually do try to fix problems.

Hope you can find the problem. We have tons of wiring problems with our trucks that had after market beds installed.
I dont think it has one thing to do with the bed. The bed was installed with less than three hundered miles on the truck. The problem started when the odometer was around 8500 miles. The problem started after the Ford lot changed the calibration on the cluster to show when the truck went into regen.

Another thing, this is a public forum, yes? I am a paying member, yes? If I want to call my dealership a stealership I will do so. If there is a problem with that im sure a Moderator will say so. I will also add, when a dealership that charges "adjusted dealer markup" to the retail price of cars and trucks that are popular, and makes statements such as "dont worry, its under warranty" "we can change every part if we have to" sir this is a STEALERSHIP. You can call it what you want, I will continue to call it the same.

One last thing, It is not the wiring, or the brake controller. The brake controller works, as did the first one. You can manually control the controller and the brakes work. That means the controller and the wiring is intact. If there was no output at all, then and only then should the problem be diagnosed as a controller and or a wiring problem. Thank you
Old 07-05-2009, 02:37 AM

It's not the reflash. That has nothing to do with the brake controller. Probably not the dealers fault but simply the wiring or plug.

All you need to do is disconnect the plug and see if the problem goes away.

This problem has been seen on many vehicles and it's a defective plug. You can't tell by looking at it and the brakes may still work or they may not. The controller is sensative to any cross feed in the wires.

You could unplug it and check for cross feed with an ohm meter.

We have a lot of trucks with beds on them like that and the wiring is screwed up on several of them. Mostly Chevrolets and GMC's but the bed wiring is usually the problem. These trucks also have a lot of miles on them before the problem starts. Water gets into things and eventually causes corrosion. We rewire those things all the time.

If you can't resolve it your better off going to someone that works on trucks like that and they will fix it. That's normally what we do with ours when the dealer don't want to bother with it.

As far as your stealership that's your choice and I don't really care either way as I'm sure the mods would not care either. I simply let you know that some of the best techs that help people for free here in their spare time might not appreciate it and therefore may not help you fix your truck. Then it's just you and your stealership.

I have seen more than one that had the bed lights wired into the trailer wiring..

Last edited by DavidPhillips; 07-05-2009 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Emergency Services

David, I really dont mean to argue with you, I just cant see how it would be the plug when it works manually just not with the truck brakes.
this is info I have found. found it in the fmc tech manual.

PINPOINT TEST H: THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DISPLAYS "TBC FAULT"
Test Step Result / Action to Take
H1 CHECK FOR THE PRESENCE OF A TRAILER BRAKE CONTROL (TBC) MODULE AND BRAKE PRESSURE TRANSDUCER
Verify that the vehicle is equipped with a TBC module in the instrument panel and a brake pressure transducer on the master cylinder.
Is the vehicle equipped with a TBC module and a brake pressure transducer?
Yes
GO to H2.

No
If the vehicle has a brake pressure transducer but not a TBC module, INSTALL a TBC module. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

If the vehicle has a TBC module but does not have a brake pressure transducer, GO to H4 .

If the vehicle has neither a TBC module nor a brake pressure transducer, GO to H3 .
H2 CHECK TBC MODULE COMMUNICATIONS
Using the scan tool, access the TBC module.
Does the scan tool communicate with the TBC module?
Yes
VERIFY that the instrument cluster is configured correctly, RECONFIGURE as necessary. REFER to Programmable Parameters in this section.

No
Go To Pinpoint Test a.
H3 CHECK THE VEHICLE BUILD INFORMATION
Verify that the vehicle is supposed to be equipped with a TBC module.
Is the vehicle supposed to be equipped with a TBC module?
Yes
INSTALL a trailer brake retrofit kit. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

No
VERIFY that the instrument cluster is configured correctly, RECONFIGURE as necessary. REFER to Programmable Parameters in this section.
H4 CHECK THE VEHICLE BUILD INFORMATION
Verify that the vehicle is supposed to be equipped with a TBC module.
Is the vehicle supposed to be equipped with a TBC module?
Yes
INSTALL a brake pressure transducer. Make sure to LUBRICATE the O-ring seal with clean, specified brake fluid before installation. RECONFIGURE the instrument cluster for trailer brakes, REFER to Programmable Parameters in this section. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

No
REMOVE the TBC module and install the storage bin.PINPOINT TEST A: NO COMMUNICATION WITH THE TRAILER BRAKE CONTROL (TBC) MODULE
NOTICE: Use the flex probe kit for all test connections to prevent damage to the wiring terminals. Do not use standard multimeter probes.

Test Step Result / Action to Take
A1 CHECK THE MISSING CONTROLLER AREA NETWORK (CAN) SOURCE IDENTIFIER PID
Ignition ON.
Enter the following diagnostic mode on the scan tool: Missing CAN Source Identifier PID.
Does the PID indicate a missing module?
Yes
For missing powertrain control module (PCM), REFER to Section 303-14A (gasoline engine) or Section 303-14B (diesel engine).

For missing anti-lock brake system (ABS) control module, REFER to Section 206-09.

For missing instrument cluster, REFER to Section 413-01.

No
GO to A2.
A2 CHECK THE VOLTAGE TO THE TBC MODULE
Ignition OFF.
Disconnect: TBC Module C2142A.
Disconnect: TBC Module C2142B.
Ignition ON.
Measure the voltage between TBC module, harness side and ground as follows:
TBC module C2142A-1, circuit 50 (RD), harness side.
TBC module C2142B-3, circuit 298 (VT/OG), harness side.

Are the voltages greater than 10 volts?
Yes
GO to A3.

No
VERIFY CJB fuse 101 (30A) is OK. If OK, REPAIR circuit 50 (RD) for an open.

VERIFY CJB fuse 28 (10A) is OK. If OK, REPAIR circuit 298 (VT/OG) for an open.

CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.
A3 CHECK GROUND CIRCUIT 206 (WH) FOR AN OPEN
Ignition OFF.
Measure the resistance between TBC module C2124A-4, circuit 206 (WH), harness side and ground.

Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
REFER to Section 418-00 to continue diagnosis of the communication network.

No
REPAIR circuit 206 (WH) for an open. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

Chris

Last edited by 07SGT4578; 07-06-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:14 PM

No, your right.

Some how I missed the vital information in the first post. TBC FAULT is not what I understood. I got WIRING FAULT ON TRAILER from somewhere.

Sorry for misleading you. I do think you have your problem figured out though. Now it's a matter of getting someone that can do it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.