Truck Starts But Wont Idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck Starts But Wont Idle

08 6.4 has 12,000 miles on it. Has run great until tonight. Went out to start it and it just sputters and dies with no throttle response. Acts like a diesel with air in the fuel system. Can get it to start but it won't move and runs like you know what. Will definitely need to be towed if I can't figure it out. What gives??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just a stab in the dark but do you have your original fuel filters? Water in the fuel? Just because the light isn't on doesn't mean that there could be water in it. Do you have a tuner in the truck? If so can you read any codes.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Couple dumb questions. I am assuming you mean radio tuner???? And if so how do I read the codes??? And yes it does still have the original fuel filters in it.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:17 AM

I mean performance tuner. A lot of them have the capability to read codes. I personally have a Spartan Phalanx. I still have the Diesel particulate filter on my truck with an extra 150 rear wheel horse power. I also see that this is your first couple postings, so welcome to the org. I am willing to guess that your problem revolves around the fuel filters. These trucks at idle need 5000 psi or so of fuel rail pressure. If your filters are clogging, it is hard for them to build enough pressure. Is it cold where you are when this happened? Gelled fuel can cause syptoms similar to that. Another thing, there is a small chance that your high pressure fuel pump could be going bad. Some people have had that happen to them. Even with only 12k miles, anything could happen. I went through 2 radiators and an idler pulley and I have 25k on my truck. I work with mine, and it loves it...it has been a great truck
Old 02-21-2009, 05:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

First of all thanks for your patience with the ignorance of my "tuner" question. The truck is still stock with no tuner. The temperatures here in St. Louis are actually not that bad, so I don't believe gelling is the problem. I'm gonna head out and check the filters. Hopefully that will resolve something. Thanks for you input. I'll let you know what it turns out to be.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbuddee View Post
First of all thanks for your patience with the ignorance of my "tuner" question. The truck is still stock with no tuner. The temperatures here in St. Louis are actually not that bad, so I don't believe gelling is the problem. I'm gonna head out and check the filters. Hopefully that will resolve something. Thanks for you input. I'll let you know what it turns out to be.
No problem. When it comes to these new highly sophisticated trucks, there is no such thing as a dumb question. Some people will bite your head off for it. Usually it's just in jest, but some people can be an azz. If you check your filters,(unscrew them) be sure to follow the proper priming/bleeding method in the owner's manual. Underneath the truck, under the driver's floorboard you will see your water seperator. There should be a green pet**** that you can turn to let any water/heavy sediment out. Let this drain for 15 seconds or so, and start the truck.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:47 PM

I agree with Greenhorn, sounds like fuel issues....starting with the filters is wise, maybe try running some fuel conditioner through as well.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Just out of curiosity is there some reason that you aren't taking it in to the dealership if there's only 12000 miles on it?
Old 02-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Could also be an EGR valve stuck open. You'd probably get codes p0404 and p1335 and egrvp voltage at like 2.43v at rest. A ford dealer will be able to tell you whats going on. Ive done 4 egr valves in 6.4's in the last 2 weeks. Same concern your having.. truck will start but wont idle and just dies. All 4 have also broken off inside the intake elbow when trying to remove them...
Old 02-22-2009, 04:22 PM
assistant director

good luck ..probally trying to get it running to get to the dealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.