Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

PATS issue

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Lemming 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 F250 6.4L Kings Ranch that is having PATS issues. I can go for days with the truck starting normally and then it won't; instead the PATS light blinks rapidly and no start. The PATS error code is 14 (incomplete key code). I don't keep anything on my key ring other than the key fob to cause an issue, so I thought that I might have damaged both keys by housing them in my tool box. Why, well, sticking on the side of the tool box are large magnetic bolt/nut holders. So, I ordered new keys online, had them cut and used my original keys to code them. The news keys worked like a charm for a week and then I got the PATS code once again

I should mention that my truck does have remote start and when the truck won't start with the key, I can lock the truck and start it remotely, put the key in and drive away (works every time).

My second attempt at fixing the problem was to replace the transceiver. Interestingly, when I pulled the column, I saw that wires from the remote start are wound into the top cap of the transceiver (this is a factory Ford remote starter). I guess when using the remote it must still send a signal to the pats system. At this point I went ahead and replaced the transceiver but used the old top cap that is tied into the remote. I used the truck for 4-5 days and thought the problem was fixed, but then a no start with blinking PATS (same code).

At this point, I'm running out of ideas. I did talk to my FORD dealer and they were not very helpful. They said that unless they can get the truck to throw the pats code, they won't be able to do anything. I really don't want to leave the truck at the dealer for a week or more for the fault to occur so I thought I'd throw it up on this forum and see if anyone had ideas.

Other things I'ved looked at or tried.

Checked batteries and terminals. Looked for damaged wiring.

This is a stock truck, no aftermarket chips or controllers.

Really this has not been an issue for driving, since the remote always works. However, I've decided to sell this truck and need to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.