engine troubles - looking for insight - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
engine troubles - looking for insight

Truck is currently in the driveway, I'm gonna have to get it towed to shop tomorrow I think.

Here's the deal. I took a short drive this afternoon to run some errands. About 15 minutes into the trip, I accelerated to pass another vehicle (went from probably 48 - 50 to 65 or so to pass). This went fine but then, after coasting back down to cruising speed, when I applied the throttle to maintain cruising speed, I felt a constant "shudder". When I took my foot off the throttle, the shudder went away, reapplied the throttle, shudder came back. Shudder was consistent, did not seem to vary with speed. Tach and turbo gauges weren't dancing around either, this felt like a transmission issue. By now, I was going well under the speed limit, and the vehicle would not accelerate. Seemed to be stuck in 3rd or 4th gear, and the engine seemed to be holding around 2500 RPMs, with ~25 PSI on the boost gauge, regardless of throttle input.

I brought the truck to a stop, and then without putting it in park, or turning the motor off, tried to accelerate, and everything went fine. no more shuddering, everything seemed normal.

Rand a few errands, in and out of a few stores, vehicle stopped and started three times, and then on my way home, I made one more stop very close to home. came out of the store, fired up the truck, backed out, and then as soon as I get on the road, the check engine light comes on, and now the engine seems to be struggling. RPMs are bouncing around a bit, it almost sounds as if it's not "firing on all cylinders", but this is different than the "shuddering" issue experienced earlier. I now notice i've got smoke pouring out the tail pipe. it's not white, but not real dark, sort of grey i guess you'd say.

I limped home along the side of the road, the truck was going about 20 MPH.

Got to the driveway. Put it in park. tried to rev the engine gently and it sorta gurgled, and spewed a lot of smoke, RPMs I don't think went to 2K.

Turned the truck off, popped the hood, nothing looked out of the ordinary, no smoking or fluid leaks that I could see. Checked the tailpipe, and I now notice that it's dripping wet. Doesn't look like oil, doesn't look like diesel. Sort of a clearish, milky brown fluid. It wasn't hot to the touch, and I can't identify the smell (doesn't spell like fuel or oil, although maybe this is what it smells like after it's been combusted??)

Just for giggles, I started up the truck again, it started right up and idled like a kitten. I blipped the throttle a few times and it responded (but still lots of smoke), and it seemed like the longer the engine was running the more the engine struggled.

Throughout the whole process the engine temp never rose above normal, either did the tranny temp.

I'm about to call ford roadside assistance to come tow the truck back to the dealer. Does anyone have any insight as to what may have happened?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 01:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to troid123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiersba View Post
Truck is currently in the driveway, I'm gonna have to get it towed to shop tomorrow I think.

Here's the deal. I took a short drive this afternoon to run some errands. About 15 minutes into the trip, I accelerated to pass another vehicle (went from probably 48 - 50 to 65 or so to pass). This went fine but then, after coasting back down to cruising speed, when I applied the throttle to maintain cruising speed, I felt a constant "shudder". When I took my foot off the throttle, the shudder went away, reapplied the throttle, shudder came back. Shudder was consistent, did not seem to vary with speed. Tach and turbo gauges weren't dancing around either, this felt like a transmission issue. By now, I was going well under the speed limit, and the vehicle would not accelerate. Seemed to be stuck in 3rd or 4th gear, and the engine seemed to be holding around 2500 RPMs, with ~25 PSI on the boost gauge, regardless of throttle input.

I brought the truck to a stop, and then without putting it in park, or turning the motor off, tried to accelerate, and everything went fine. no more shuddering, everything seemed normal.

Rand a few errands, in and out of a few stores, vehicle stopped and started three times, and then on my way home, I made one more stop very close to home. came out of the store, fired up the truck, backed out, and then as soon as I get on the road, the check engine light comes on, and now the engine seems to be struggling. RPMs are bouncing around a bit, it almost sounds as if it's not "firing on all cylinders", but this is different than the "shuddering" issue experienced earlier. I now notice i've got smoke pouring out the tail pipe. it's not white, but not real dark, sort of grey i guess you'd say.

I limped home along the side of the road, the truck was going about 20 MPH.

Got to the driveway. Put it in park. tried to rev the engine gently and it sorta gurgled, and spewed a lot of smoke, RPMs I don't think went to 2K.

Turned the truck off, popped the hood, nothing looked out of the ordinary, no smoking or fluid leaks that I could see. Checked the tailpipe, and I now notice that it's dripping wet. Doesn't look like oil, doesn't look like diesel. Sort of a clearish, milky brown fluid. It wasn't hot to the touch, and I can't identify the smell (doesn't spell like fuel or oil, although maybe this is what it smells like after it's been combusted??)

Just for giggles, I started up the truck again, it started right up and idled like a kitten. I blipped the throttle a few times and it responded (but still lots of smoke), and it seemed like the longer the engine was running the more the engine struggled.

Throughout the whole process the engine temp never rose above normal, either did the tranny temp.

I'm about to call ford roadside assistance to come tow the truck back to the dealer. Does anyone have any insight as to what may have happened?

Thanks!
Did you try to pull codes? I am guessing it is a 6.4? You might fill out your sig, makes it alot easier to help!
Old 02-08-2009, 01:02 PM

you should post up a little info on your truck. ie: year, engine, etc...
Old 02-08-2009, 01:13 PM

yup, 6.4.

Can't pull the codes, I don't have any tools to do so. Just looking for some ideas, it's being towed to the dealership first thing in the AM, wanted to know if this smelled like anything in particular before I talked to the dealership.

Edited signature

Thanks for any insight
Old 02-08-2009, 02:08 PM

checked oil and antifreeze both ok and apparently uncontaminated?
Old 02-08-2009, 02:51 PM

checked oil, not antifreeze (aside from checking that it wasn't leaking onto the ground).

Oil level looked pretty high, However, it's often pretty difficult to get a good read based on the design of this dipstick.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:04 AM

update,
Well not really. Talked to service manager yesterday just before 5:00 he said the tech had a chance to plug it in and pull some codes, but they weren't clear what the problem was. They had an email into the ford hotline (never really makes me feel comfortable). However, the Service manager said interestingly enough they had another truck came in with the same symptoms as mine later in the day yesterday. I'm hoping to hear more from them today.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Sounds like your high pressure fuel pump to me..........
Old 02-11-2009, 10:39 AM

Sounds like its overfueling for whatever reason. Leaky injector/s?
Old 02-12-2009, 03:59 AM

update:

Service manager says that EGR valve is stuck open.

Causing the computer to think that there is a fueling problem, which in turn is generating lots of "lack of fuel" errors. He didn't give me the exact codes.

Here's the problem. Apparently the EGR valve needs to be replaced as well as some sort of "bowl" Apparently this part is not scheduled to be released from Ford for possibly two weeks.

So, my truck experienced a problem on Sunday, Ford was able to diagnose it three days later (wednesday), and now i'm going to need to possibly wait two weeks for a part, and then they need to install it.

Sounds like i'm looking at 3+ weeks of downtime.

I realize this may not be my local dealers fault, but how frustrating is it when parts aren't available!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.