coolant smell - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to smokin95psd
coolant smell

2008 F450 6.4 KR. I had the exhaust up pipe leaks and the dealership replaced these by removing the cab. I knew they had to. However in the process of putting the truck back together they cracked the plastic nipple under the coolant tank and it developed a leak on a trip 1000 miles from home. A dealership in Salem, IL repaired the truck with no problems. They flushed the coolant and added the proper level and installed the recall hoses and "t" fittings on the coolant bottle. After I got back home I had the dealer reflush the coolant and everything is great with the leak. However the truck has a horrible odor. It came from the coolant leak in the begining. No leaks now but the left over coolant may be causing the odor I dont know. Please help.

Also the truck has the latest PCM program from Ford. (the truck is bone stock) The cooling fan comes on and cycles when it is 40* outside and the truck at normal operating temp. and no load just the naked truck. It cycles loaded and unloaded at 55-70 mph and the cycle is the same loaded or unloaded. is this normal PCM strategy or is something funny?

Final question. I live in North Carolina. NE corner. What dealership has the best Powerstroke Tech. in NC or either Virginia.

thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin95psd View Post
2008 F450 6.4 KR. I had the exhaust up pipe leaks and the dealership replaced these by removing the cab. I knew they had to. However in the process of putting the truck back together they cracked the plastic nipple under the coolant tank and it developed a leak on a trip 1000 miles from home. A dealership in Salem, IL repaired the truck with no problems. They flushed the coolant and added the proper level and installed the recall hoses and "t" fittings on the coolant bottle. After I got back home I had the dealer reflush the coolant and everything is great with the leak. However the truck has a horrible odor. It came from the coolant leak in the begining. No leaks now but the left over coolant may be causing the odor I dont know. Please help.

Also the truck has the latest PCM program from Ford. (the truck is bone stock) The cooling fan comes on and cycles when it is 40* outside and the truck at normal operating temp. and no load just the naked truck. It cycles loaded and unloaded at 55-70 mph and the cycle is the same loaded or unloaded. is this normal PCM strategy or is something funny?

Final question. I live in North Carolina. NE corner. What dealership has the best Powerstroke Tech. in NC or either Virginia.

thanks guys
First my truck had the smell both time the rad was replaced. I just kept a lose watch on my coolant level untill the smell was gone. Second, I have the latest reflash from Ford and my cooling fan only comes on when I am towing heavy in warmer climates, usually on the longer hills. Sounds to me that there is still a problem. Only speculation of course, but maybe air trapped in your cooling system, or something wrong with the thermostat. Could be other reasons, but that is all that I can think of.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:40 PM

i did not mention the temperature gauge does not move. once it gets to operating temp. it stays where it always has since last year when i got the truck new.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:48 PM

That could be a problem. I know a lot of guys on here with their Spartan tuner forget about the OEM gauges and look at the DashDaq. I remember reading a thread that some guy's truck was overheating on he DashDaq but fine on the OEM gauge. He had a screen in front of his grille and it was clogged with bugs I think. So maybe there is also bad gauge in you truck. Mine will get hotter, then the fans kick on and it goes back to normal pretty quick. Is your coolant level ok? I was also thinking that they maybe put in the right kind of coolant. It shouldn't make a dfference, but you never know with these new high tech trucks
Old 02-03-2009, 08:25 AM

coolant is motorcraft coolant and is up to the proper level it is not leaking at all. it has been pressure tested for about an hour at a time. the truck is stock and has never had a tuner. it is bone stock.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:36 AM

More than likely its the EGR cooler, they will leak when they are hot and seal up when they're cold. Good ole' expanding and contracting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.