Weird boost issue... Help please. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 07:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird boost issue... Help please.

Details: 2010. 6.4. 138k, dpf delete, mild SCT tuned, 5" down pipe back exhaust, S&B intake.

Installed all performance parts about 3 weeks ago. Put maybe 600 miles on the truck since then and had no issues or problems. On a return trip from a weekend getaway, I noticed I was "rolling less coal" than usual once I got back into town. Stomped the pedal a bit and saw what I thought was grey smoke. Drove it to the house and parked it. No puking coolant, no thrown codes, oil is good. Waited about 2 hours and walked out to pop the hood, area around the turbo was still super hot. Seemed hotter than normal. Checked around again for leaks, and noticed nothing.

Left it alone for the night, and googled myself into paranoia. Started it up the next day and put the pedal down again. Next to no smoke until the turbo was de-spooling. I figured maybe the boots to the turbo or inter cooler were blown off or cracked so I checked those out. Nothing there either. Again googled myself into paranoia for the night.

Today I placed my cellphone near the turbo to record and check for "rattling or metal on metal noise" and noticed nothing.

I've got next to zero register able boost while in park, and about half the boost I did have when I took it around the block earlier. To me, it sounds like air is bypassing the turbo somehow. I'm losing my mind.

So here I am, begging for help from the wise.

My turner turns off the egr and dpf. Dpf was deleted, I still haven't installed the block off plates for the egr. Can't think of anything I've missed.

Your help and knowledge is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 07:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hmm strange. Is there soot on the firewall or soot on the bellows of the up pipes? Take off you ebp sensor and tube and clean it out. You said all the intercooler boots are tight? Can you have someone brake boost while you look for leaks?
The Following User Says Thank You to 04hdfatboy For This Useful Post:
o0MEGA0o (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

EBP sensor and tube are clean now, there were fairly clean. Pulled the MAP sensor and it was FILTHY! Sludge built up all around it and the bung. Tried cleaning the bung as much as possible. Felt like spraying it all out with some carb cleaner. Used MAF cleaner on all the sensors. Is there a better way to clean out the bung and area inside around the MAP?
Old 08-01-2014, 02:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

you could also pull the intercooler and see if its saturated with blowby oil.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0MEGA0o View Post
EBP sensor and tube are clean now, there were fairly clean. Pulled the MAP sensor and it was FILTHY! Sludge built up all around it and the bung. Tried cleaning the bung as much as possible. Felt like spraying it all out with some carb cleaner. Used MAF cleaner on all the sensors. Is there a better way to clean out the bung and area inside around the MAP?
What I did was I got some q tips and soaked them in brake cleaner. I then put them in the map sensor bung and cleaned out as much of that crap as I could. Something you might look at to help is a ccv reroute to keep all that crap out of the intake. Also and egr delete depending on if you have emissions testing.
The Following User Says Thank You to 04hdfatboy For This Useful Post:
o0MEGA0o (08-03-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 08:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, the boost issues are gone. But I've still got some blue/grey smoke. Gonna pull the lower boot from the intercooler and clean if necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.