COOLANT PROB - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 06:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy COOLANT PROB

had my radiator w/hoses degas bottle with hose replaced from the dealer, got it back and was going WOT, pulled and degas bottle was empty and coolant everywhere!!!!!
took it right back to dealer 30mins later and was told my fan clutch was bad and it was causing the other cooling parts to work harder, therefore my coolant pressurised and went everywhere, the shop foreman came out and talked to me and he loosened the degas bottle cap and let the pressure out once he did that the coolant started to bubble up and refill up my degas bottle..????
i had just had my fan clutch replaced 8/2013 for they went ahead and replaced it for me again under previous warranty.
But since i've had it back i'll drive around for awhile, pop my hood and notice my degas bottle low, until i loosen the cap and let the pressure out than starts to bubble up and fills my bottle back up, also kind of noticeing some limpness to the truck???

SO MY QUESTION IS, WHY IS IT STILL DOING THIS???? I WAS ALSO TOLD BY THE FOREMAN IT COULD BE AIR IN THE HOSES/LINES... :dunno :dunno
i called the service rep who helped me, on sat and left a msg but hasnt gotten back to me...
HELLLLLPPP!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 06:46 AM

How far have you driven since degas bottle and stuff was replaced? It'll take a few miles to bleed air out of system and you'll have to add coolant as air bleeds out.
Heavy_GD likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to tofer For This Useful Post:
TxBoyJay's 08 KR250 (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 08:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

mine does the exact same thing. im deleted and have egr block off plates. the coolant would return to the degas bottle only after i blocked off the egr. before, when it was stock it wouldnt come back. i havent had any cooling problems towing or performance issues though. the degas is also pressurized when i unscrew the cap. ive searched and searched and havent been able to find an answer to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snowboarder7710 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The system is supposed to be pressurized i thought? If coolant was everywhere after driving maybe coolant cap is bad?

Try replacing it. But keep in mind your truck might start leaking at the radiator if hasnt already my rad did.

check this out i saw it a while back.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:27 PM

Something dosent seem right, I have never noticed mine moving much. Maybe a couple inches or so on the side of the bottle. Are you sure it's full? How old is your cap?
Old 06-03-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofer View Post
How far have you driven since degas bottle and stuff was replaced? It'll take a few miles to bleed air out of system and you'll have to add coolant as air bleeds out.

almost a week, maybe 150miles
Old 06-03-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI.IV View Post
The system is supposed to be pressurized i thought? If coolant was everywhere after driving maybe coolant cap is bad?

Try replacing it. But keep in mind your truck might start leaking at the radiator if hasnt already my rad did.

check this out i saw it a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM38rFuI_YE
well it only leaked b3fore they replaced my fan clutch... it hasnt leaked since i dont think, its still dirty from the last time the coolant went everywhere i need to clean under the hood and keep an i on it. But my fenderwell definitely hasnt had coolant on since than either..
Old 06-03-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyCody View Post
Something dosent seem right, I have never noticed mine moving much. Maybe a couple inches or so on the side of the bottle. Are you sure it's full? How old is your cap?
if its the factory ford one, and it didnt get replaced along with my new degas bottle. i'm not sure than, my truck has over 170kmiles so it might be stock...
Old 06-03-2014, 06:36 PM

I would go to auto value or napa and get a new cap that dosent click when you tighten it that has the big spring in it. (Stant or balkamp) And I would fill it up and drive it nice for a while and see what happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to CowboyCody For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

^^ what he said. And like i said my radiator started leaking right after might want to keep an eye on that. especially if you are using caterpillar coolant like i am, it gets expensive after a while. I preordered the Alradco Radiator coming out.
The Following User Says Thank You to VI.IV For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.