Smoking white after filter change - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Project Abused

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smoking white after filter change

Well just finished changing both fuel filters on the 6.4 with the correct filters, pushed all the way down in there, facing the right way. Tightened them both back up nice and snug, turned the key on 6 times for 30 seconds started it on the 7th time, started right up for about 10 seconds then a little wrench came on and the truck shut down. Primed the system two more times again for 30 seconds and started it after the second. Now it will idle fine and took her out for a little run (2 miles and floored it for an 1/8th) couldn't see the smoke when I floored it cause its to dark out with tinted windows. however when I am in D standing on the brake and throttle it, it will smoke white with a tiny hint of black but mostly white. Any suggestions? No DTC anymore/wrench gone will idle/run fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

look at the thred just below yours, that is most likey your problem post#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goolsbymd View Post
Well just finished changing both fuel filters on the 6.4 with the correct filters, pushed all the way down in there, facing the right way. Tightened them both back up nice and snug, turned the key on 6 times for 30 seconds started it on the 7th time, started right up for about 10 seconds then a little wrench came on and the truck shut down. Primed the system two more times again for 30 seconds and started it after the second. Now it will idle fine and took her out for a little run (2 miles and floored it for an 1/8th) couldn't see the smoke when I floored it cause its to dark out with tinted windows. however when I am in D standing on the brake and throttle it, it will smoke white with a tiny hint of black but mostly white. Any suggestions? No DTC anymore/wrench gone will idle/run fine
Old 12-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Project Abused

Read it, agreed its raw fuel, 99% sure its not injectors I was driving it around town all earlier that day with zero problems and there are no DTCs. Pretty sure its not EGR due to same reason. The only variable is that I changed the filters. Im not a tech so I very well could be wrong. I really don't wanna pull the filters again, swimming in diesel isn't the funnest thing. It isn't cold here (45*f) I dunno ill prime then again 6 more times and see if it helps.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Project Abused

Reprimmed again 30sec on 15 off in between cycles, another 2mile trip still smokin white.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Project Abused

before bed
Old 12-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to Dusten
no clue, as stated, why smoke on a diesel is raw fuel. i know you're tuned, is it possible the truck throwing the wrench changed something in the tune parameters? Perhaps go back to stock, and reload it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.