2008 F350 6.4L - HPFP and Fuel System - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 02:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 F350 6.4L - HPFP and Fuel System

"Reduced Engine Power" message came on and truck went into limp home mode on Friday. Shut it down for the entire weekend, drove it to the local dealership today. I am being told that they have found metal flakes in the fuel system and that my one injector is stuck open due to those metal flakes. The Diesel Tech is saying that the HPFP is most likely the problem. They are taking the cab off tomorrow to get the the HPFP. He informed me that if they find rust in it that it will not be covered under warranty. I have been reading horror stories about this problem with the 6.4L, that Ford will not warranty it and the repairs range from $5k - $10k+. I just purchased the truck used in late Sept of 2013 with 84,000 miles on it, I also purchased Ford's premium care warranty when I bought the truck (3 years, 36,000 miles bumper to bumper coverage). I haven't even had the truck a year yet, it now has 98,000 miles on it. A week after I bough the truck I had to take it back to the dealership due to a similar problem with the "Reduced Engine Power" message and it ended up being 2 faulty injectors. Fixed with no problems after until now. Does anyone have any insight on this matter??? Will Ford cover the repairs or am I stuck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 06:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Exclamation UPDATE:

UPDATE:
Ford is going to cover all repairs under the Premium Care Warranty I purchased when I got the truck in September 2013. The extended warranty is a bumper to bumper 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. Estimated total repair bill from Ford is $9,500. Truck will be getting an entire new fuel system, thank you Ford for stepping up, renewed my faith in a great auto company. They found no rust inside the HPFP, just very minor pitting along the outside edge. Hopefully I don't ever have to go through this again. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid a HPFP failure and bad fuel? What additives would you/Ford recommend? I heard 'Diesel Kleen' is pretty good, but I'm weary putting any additives in my truck that Ford doesn't recommend.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I use the ford motorcraft additive but diesel kleen also seems to work well. IMO the best upgrade to keep the HPFP happy is an upgraded lift pump (airdog 2, fuel lab) with better filtration.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:17 AM

I put 2 stroke oil in every time I fill up, along with some addatives to help with moisture. It may be dumb, but it makes me feel better knowing my pump will have some lubricant even if I get bad fuel. I also try to buy fuel at places I know move a lot so that you have a better chance at fresh fuel.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
I use the ford motorcraft additive but diesel kleen also seems to work well. IMO the best upgrade to keep the HPFP happy is an upgraded lift pump (airdog 2, fuel lab) with better filtration.
Will an upgraded pump void my warranty? Have you used both additives (Motorcraft and Diesel Kleen)? If so which one would you recommend? Thanks!!!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyCody View Post
I put 2 stroke oil in every time I fill up, along with some addatives to help with moisture. It may be dumb, but it makes me feel better knowing my pump will have some lubricant even if I get bad fuel. I also try to buy fuel at places I know move a lot so that you have a better chance at fresh fuel.
What additives are you using?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico103 View Post
Will an upgraded pump void my warranty? Have you used both additives (Motorcraft and Diesel Kleen)? If so which one would you recommend? Thanks!!!
I cant imagine it would void your warranty but I am not certain on that. I have tried both and I like the motorcraft additive better.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
I cant imagine it would void your warranty but I am not certain on that. I have tried both and I like the motorcraft additive better.
Fatboy, thanks for the replies!!! I will talk to the Diesel Tech about the pump voiding my warranty. I just want to take all proper precautions to avoid this every happening again, especially once the warranty is up!!!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico103 View Post
Fatboy, thanks for the replies!!! I will talk to the Diesel Tech about the pump voiding my warranty. I just want to take all proper precautions to avoid this every happening again, especially once the warranty is up!!!
No problem man. Here is my reason for the better lift pump to help the HPFP survive. If you search around even the remaned fuel pumps from ford are having problems. They are known to leak fuel and some are bad right out of the box. B585Ford is having a hell of a time with his HPFP (check out the thread in the performance parts section). Until a better option becomes available we need to keep our HPFP alive as long as possible.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:25 AM

It depends on the time of year, in the summer I usually use dieselkleen, but in the winter I use howes or power service antigel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.