Did I run it that hard? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 12:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did I run it that hard?

Last Sunday on the way home I felt the itch so as I was coming onto the on ramp I set my mid tune to full on my HS tuner and let her have it. I went up to about 70 and she started to shutter. I could hear a popping noise from the intake and the truck was shaking and missing. I had the truck towed to the dealership and this is what we have found so far this week.
2 broken rockers
2 bent pushrods
and 2 cracked heads! The "good head" has stress fractures around the exhaust ports and the bad one is the same with cracks around where the pushrods go.
oh and the partridge in a pear tree is my intake manifold has a layer of EGR gunk in it!

The short block is fine. No impact of valve to piston or anything burned up (about the only good news). The cab and everything down to the short block is off. I have to get new heads (complete), I am putting in an ARP stud kit. Upgrading to chrome moley pushrods, and having the intake manifold get a bath at the machine shop. So all and all this is costing me shy of 8,000.

I have an HS Mini Max
5' exhaust
AFE intke
80,000 miles and stick to my maint like it is the law
How the hell did I do this much damage?
I'm not finding much on talk about 6.4 heads being cracked.
Any thoughts, concerns, things I should have added to the bill while its apart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 12:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

wow that's not good

I can't believe you pushed it " to hard" that's exactly how most of us drive LOL
Old 03-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had a head crack on me when I was lifting the motor out, using the factory lifting brackets, good thing it was putting a long block in it.

I would BE SURE to check out those lifters. 6.4's throw rocker arms off like crazy, but sometimes it's caused by a collapsed hydraulic lifters. The lifter will have too much lash and the pushrod will not stay in the slot in the rocker arm. as the engine runs the pushrod hits in random areas of the rocker until the rocker breaks. might wanna make sure the lifters arent screwed up.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

Don't kill me but...

No one ever talks about it..

Dentition my friend.

What were EGT at?

To me these diesel 6.4 are basically race engine waiting to go. When you do and if one thing is not right boom.

Sorry..

Cracked this blown this. Just like a gasser with a blower and too high of pressure or temp with worn out materials..
Old 03-29-2014, 07:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sucks to hear that man.
When I tore my engine down (4 cracked rings) I was expecting to have cracked heads as it seems to be more common than not ( like the 6.0). I got lucky, mine were both fine.
I am replacing all the lifters, pushrods and rockers as maintenance. This stuff should be bullet proof, but there seems to be issues here and there.
I think that fuel dilution has to play some what of a role in this, possible causing the needle bearings in the lifters to get out of whack or what have you. Same thing with the rockers. Not enough lubrication over time and they wear a little. Then one day they go sideways and take the top end out. Just my opinion, I think that once you put it all back together you will be good to go. Im assuming that you have the DPF delete, so that should take care of any fuel issues.
Make sure the fuel rails and injector feed lines had no leaks (lines will need replacing, one time use).
Easy to get a full EGR delete in there at this time too.
Maybe send the injectors out for flow testing. I had 3 come back as FAIL, only had one contribution code at the time. Easier to do it now.
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 03-29-2014, 12:17 PM

I do have a DPF delete on the truck now. The mechanic was willing to do the EGR delete while everything was off. The warranty people shot it down something about EPA and fined and blah blah blah laws. I'll be doing it along with CAC tube and intake tube after I run it for a bit and make sure there aren't any problems. Should have more news on Monday.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:01 AM

Just got back from the dealership. The guy wasn't joking when he said that my pushrods were S's will post a pic of it
Old 03-31-2014, 08:20 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBucinski View Post

I don't see the pic, but do you mind asking him if it was probably from engine detonation?

I'm seeing a pattern of engine damage and high tunes but some people are running the same tune with no problems.

Not blaming tunes at all, more wondering what actually caused the failure regardless of tune.

Like low or bad fuel, a failed item like push rod

Last edited by GSchretter; 03-31-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:33 AM

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-31-2014, 09:36 AM

At this point we blame over rev (brought on by high tune). She was singing when I bent those. The pushrods bent up and also cracked the heads around the pushrods. Needless to say my pushrods didn't pass the "roll test"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.