Traction Bar and Ball Joint Issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Traction Bar and Ball Joint Issue

This afternoon I picked my truck up from the shop. I had them put in a 2" coil spacer and blocks in the rear. I have heard the truck making a popping noise when I have been driving, which he explained/showed me where I need to replace the traction bar along with adding an adjustable ball joint.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I need to order these specific parts?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you want an aftermarket track bar check out Precision Metal Fab. They are a sponsor on here.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
If you want an aftermarket track bar check out Precision Metal Fab. They are a sponsor on here.
Thank you. I want to make sure that whichever track bar I purchase not only is the right one but clairification on how it's installed. If I purchase an adjustable track bar will it mount to the factory ball joint? With the lift it's not flush.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:31 AM

Yes I believe he sells a track bar that connects to the ball joint. Give him a call and I am sure he will be happy to explain anything you need to know. He has been great in my dealings with him and has awesome products. Here is a link for you.

2005-2012 Ford F-250/350 Direct Replacement Adjustable Trackbar
Old 03-12-2014, 07:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Yes I believe he sells a track bar that connects to the ball joint. Give him a call and I am sure he will be happy to explain anything you need to know. He has been great in my dealings with him and has awesome products. Here is a link for you.

Thank you! I really appreciate it. I sent them a note through their website last night and plan on calling them today.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:

I just got a call back from 4 Wheel Parts. He said if I put in a drop bracket that should solve the issue. Anyone have an opinion on this fix?
Old 03-12-2014, 08:22 AM

Get under the truck and have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth. Look for any movement on either the ball joint or the bushing of the track bar. Its not uncommon for the ball joint to be worn out. If its worn out a drop bracket will not fix the issue. You will either need to replace the trackbar or put a new ball joint and bushing.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Get under the truck and have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth. Look for any movement on either the ball joint or the bushing of the track bar. Its not uncommon for the ball joint to be worn out. If its worn out a drop bracket will not fix the issue. You will either need to replace the trackbar or put a new ball joint and bushing.
The guy who installed my lift showed me how the track bar isn't flush on the ball joint and there is some play when moving the wheels back and forth. It is also causing a popping noise.

I am thinking that I should replace the entire assembly to be safe.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicefree View Post
The guy who installed my lift showed me how the track bar isn't flush on the ball joint and there is some play when moving the wheels back and forth. It is also causing a popping noise.

I am thinking that I should replace the entire assembly to be safe.
In that case a drop bracket will not fix the issue. You will need to replace the track bar (or replace the bushing) and the ball joint. Since you leveled it you will probably be happier replacing the track bar.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
In that case a drop bracket will not fix the issue. You will need to replace the track bar (or replace the bushing) and the ball joint. Since you leveled it you will probably be happier replacing the track bar.
Thank you. I talked with the guy who has the brackets and he said that will certainly fix the problem. So I am going to call the mechanic and talk with him, but I think you are right. I might be better off replacing the entire track bar.

The guy selling the brackets said that it would drop the bar down about 2" putting it back to where it was prior to the leveling kit, which I had no issues. If I go with the bracket I'll probably replace the ball joint as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.