Noise like chain after coolant hose replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 01:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Noise like chain after coolant hose replacement

Hey,
Sorry if I goof up something as I'm new to the forums today. Anyway, I have a new sound from my 2010 F350 6.4 diesel this morning when I started it for the first time. I'm in Arizona so it was about 70 degrees out this morning. It sounded like the same noise when you pick up a chain. It went away after about 4 minutes.

Also, the other night I thought the engine made a lot more of what I call pings (hear it on many cars but, just not like this on mine) than usual after I turned the vehicle off. There was a faint smell like something hot too but, I thought it was to faint and just road crap (plastic bags, etc). I just replaced a lower radiator hose. It is the half that is connected to the engine. Did it myself since the dealership wanted $625 to do two hoses.........I was like, seriously?

I have checked all the fluids and everything is full or at the correct level. I haven't checked nitrates yet (waiting on the kit from acu strip).

So, I don't know whether the oddities and the hose change are related. I guess I am just trying to catch something going wrong before it becomes to much damage and money, either of which I have time for.

If I were a guessing mechanic..........the water pump isn't working. I've heard similar sounds when other vehicle water pumps go out. But then, why wouldn't my temperature gauge indicate it? To many short drives for it to show up (20 miles or less)?

I would appreciate any suggestions since this is my first diesel, first problem and can't really find anything concrete.

Last edited by skully1; 03-02-2014 at 01:05 PM. Reason: punctuation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I stopped reading when you said it was 70. Haha Jokes aside do you have any other means to monitor coolant temp. That gauge on the dash is terrible once it gets to operating temps it pretty much stays there and if it moves its too late. If this is the case your probably not over heating it to bad cause all the short trips. Either way I'd get something to check coolant temps before I drove it again if you suspect its the water pump
Old 03-03-2014, 04:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjd View Post
I stopped reading when you said it was 70. Haha Jokes aside do you have any other means to monitor coolant temp. That gauge on the dash is terrible once it gets to operating temps it pretty much stays there and if it moves its too late. If this is the case your probably not over heating it to bad cause all the short trips. Either way I'd get something to check coolant temps before I drove it again if you suspect its the water pump
Yeah, well, it is just a guess since I'm not an automotive mechanic and this is my first diesel. I'll try to take it to someone tomorrow...........I thought I'd get lucky and someone would be able to identify with this problem. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, I found another small coolant leak to the horizontal EGR and simply tightened up the hose clamp two turns.

I haven't heard anymore noises from the engine over the past few days. I'm going to assume it was an anomaly from having changed that hose and the coolant was just adjusting.........I hope.

I think the pinging was just from the leaking coolant onto some hot exhaust pipes, etc.

Checked the nitrate level yesterday and it isn't where it should be so, I'll try and do some coolant flushing. Seems everyone has a different take on how to do that too.

Anyway, the truck is running great, all fluids still good, temperature seems fine and other than the nitrate level there isn't anything amuck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.