Need a little insight guys - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 10:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need a little insight guys

I'm pretty new to diesels as I just bought my first a few months back. I have an 08 f250 cc srw. I have added s&b Cai 5inch flowpro down pipe back with no muffler and a sct live wire with custom tunes from rudys with the egr turned off and no dpf. I have a egr delete kit with elbow and mishimoto radiator sitting in the basement ready to install. Yesterday was the first time since I put on the tuner and exhaust that I really drove the truck anywhere( just went for a test drive Friday night after install with no problems) I drove about 30 miles down the interstate monitoring the egt's and coolant oil temps. Everything looked good and the truck seemed to be running fine. The egt got to around 1150 or so when I got on it one good time and the coolant/oil temps were always within 4 degrees of each other and we're running around 198 or so on the freeway. I'm running rudys tune 3 witch is a 100 horse and 200 torque boost. This is the tune I was planning on keeping it at since I wasn't looking for a big gain in power just wanting longevity and a little bit of fuel mileage out of the truck. When I got to my destination and put the truck in park it suddenly went into a high idle and started blowing a lot of blue/white smoke out of the exhaust. I shut her down and came back in about a half hour cranked her up and after about 45 seconds to a minute it did it again. I shut it down reprogrammed it to rudys tune 1 which is just a egr and dpf delete with no gain. The truck did not do the high idle smoke thing again. I have been driving around today with no issues on the tune 1. The symptoms seem to point to the oil seal in the turbo but if that was the case would it not blow the smoke out regardless of the tune? I got on it today a little just to test it out and the only smoke I saw was a little bit of black witch I guess is normal? Also, when I first crank the truck and am letting it warm up and the boost is pretty much 0 the boost gage on the sct shows a boost of over 3400 psi!! What is that about? As soon as I start driving it looks normal and the ford gage on the dash always looks normal but reads different from the sct by a little bit. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 11:57 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
See if sct needs updating. Also it sounds like you're first tune still had regeneration set to yes in the tables.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also forgot CCV mod but I'm not sure that would have anything to do with it
Old 02-25-2014, 12:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you get this issue figured out? I'm thinking really hard about purchasing that tuner from rudys and running the 3rd tune.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok time for an update I guess. Rudys worked with me pretty well and I'm happy so far with their service and of course I've never heard anything bad about them. They emailed me all new files and answered a few questions I had in a very timely manner. I updated the sct with the latest firmware and downloaded the new tunes. I then put tune 4 into the truck as that one was the one that caused immediate issues the other day. Fired her up and let her idle until warm with no issues. I then installed tune 3 and did the same thing with no issues. I just got back from a test drive to get some fuel and I am so far very impressed. The issue appears to be gone so I'm not sure if it was a tune issue where possibly the dpf was still turned on in those tunes or if it was a firmware issue with sct but regardless it seems resolved so I am happy. I can say too that I have no desire to run higher tunes than tune 3 it is a night and day difference from stock and is more than enough power for me.lol I am also overall happy with the sct. It does not have all of the features of the spartan or mini max but gets the job done and has a nice selection of gage read outs . My only real complaint on the sct is the boost gage. I don't think it is correct. On my test drive I gave it WOT while getting on the interstate and it read a max boost of almost 50 psi but the ford factory gage was reading about 35. It seems to always read higher than the ford in dash gage and when i first fire the truck up and the boost is 0 the sct is reading 3445 psi yes that's not a typo lol this could be an issue with the obd2 readout and not sct but I'm not sure. Has anybody else running sct 5015 seen this?? Overall I would recommend rudys to anyone and I am happy. If anything changes (knock on wood) I'll update this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.