6.4 died, wont start... ( I thought it gelled, mechanic thinks HPFP ) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 12:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 died, wont start... ( I thought it gelled, mechanic thinks HPFP )

Hey all I have a 08 6.4 that is deleted and it has 177k on the ticker. A few days ago I did not add any additive until right before I drove the truck and temps were around -10. I had a full tank of fuel. I started the truck and let it warm up for a good 15 min then drove about 5 miles and it acted totally fine, then it lost power (going 60 put pedal down more noticed it wouldn't accelerate). It then died, and I was able to start it again and it ran horribly rough and I made it about 300 yards and it died again. It wouldn't start after that. I assumed it gelled.

So we checked the filter under the hood and it didn't appear to be gelled. We then towed it home and let it thaw out in 70* temps with a salamander heater blowing under it for a good 5 hours. Wont start, just cranks. Eventually it was to the point where it tried to fire a few times but just barely.

So we took it to our diesel mechanic and he does not think it gelled and he thinks it is the HPFP, but he still does not know if that is it or not. He changed both filters... He said it will not build pressure.

The codes I got on my mini maxx were: p0087, p2291, u3f00, u3f22, p006b, and p0196.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be or do you think it is the HPFP? ( I sure hope not... don't want to dump thousands into a truck with 177k ) I am now afraid the truck is going to be a "ticking time bomb" and I plan on selling it once it is fixed and getting a 6.7 and just leaving it stock so I have a warrantee.

One other thing to note was I bought my fuel the night before this happened from Murphy USA (Walmart) and I am wondering if ****ty fuel didn't cause this because I never buy fuel there. I was down to 50mi to empty when I filled up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

the gel issue should be a non issue at this point after heating etc IMHO
Old 02-16-2014, 12:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

can u verify
Quote:
u3f00, u3f22, p006b
?
Old 02-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
can u verify ?
I have absolutely no idea what those codes are. Couldn't find them anywhere. Mini Maxx says unknown DTC next to all three.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

U codes and network codes, there's a problem with the computer communicating with something. I'm not at work so I can't look them up but that shouldn't prevent it from starting. If you did gel you could of taken out the lift pump, the one on the frame rail, you should get 5 psi at the schrader on the fuel cooler
Old 02-22-2014, 08:55 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker22 View Post
Hey all I have a 08 6.4 that is deleted and it has 177k on the ticker. A few days ago I did not add any additive until right before I drove the truck and temps were around -10. I had a full tank of fuel. I started the truck and let it warm up for a good 15 min then drove about 5 miles and it acted totally fine, then it lost power (going 60 put pedal down more noticed it wouldn't accelerate). It then died, and I was able to start it again and it ran horribly rough and I made it about 300 yards and it died again. It wouldn't start after that. I assumed it gelled.

So we checked the filter under the hood and it didn't appear to be gelled. We then towed it home and let it thaw out in 70* temps with a salamander heater blowing under it for a good 5 hours. Wont start, just cranks. Eventually it was to the point where it tried to fire a few times but just barely.

So we took it to our diesel mechanic and he does not think it gelled and he thinks it is the HPFP, but he still does not know if that is it or not. He changed both filters... He said it will not build pressure.

The codes I got on my mini maxx were: p0087, p2291, u3f00, u3f22, p006b, and p0196.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be or do you think it is the HPFP? ( I sure hope not... don't want to dump thousands into a truck with 177k ) I am now afraid the truck is going to be a "ticking time bomb" and I plan on selling it once it is fixed and getting a 6.7 and just leaving it stock so I have a warrantee.

One other thing to note was I bought my fuel the night before this happened from Murphy USA (Walmart) and I am wondering if ****ty fuel didn't cause this because I never buy fuel there. I was down to 50mi to empty when I filled up.
P0087 OHH BOY AND 2291 OUCH!! I think you may be lifting your cab and replacing your high pressure pump and some other things. If any water goes through them it destroys the pump leaving little metal chips to go through the rest of the system these chips sometime hold the valves open in the hpfp causing a crank no start. One way to tell is take off valve cover and remove the steel tube to either no 1 injector or no 2 injector, catch the fuel in a black cap for break cleaner or something. shine a light in it and see if you see glitter. If you do well your in for a ride!! New pump, new rails, new injectors, and flushing entire system. Iv done so many im sick of them well not really sick of them because I love doing them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.