Occasionally dies while braking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Occasionally dies while braking

This has happened twice within one week. The first time, i was traveling about 50-55, almost missed my turn, made sure no one was behind me, hit the brakes hard to slow down quickly enough, truck dies completely. Luckily, it was a low traffic back road and i was able to come to a safe stop and steer to the shoulder. Turned the key forward, everything looked normal with no codes so i fired it right up and it started like nothing ever happened. I didnt think much of it at the time honestly, i did look it up online later that day but did not come up with any solid information.

The second time it died while braking was tonight. My wife and i were exiting the highway, turned on to the exit ramp, applied the brakes at roughly 60 MPH, was coming to a very nice easy slow stop with light brake pressure, hit a small chuck hole, and the truck died once again. This time i was not in a low traffic area, this was once of the worst spots it could have happened.

Fortunately, i was able to bring the truck to a safe stop but i could not steer it out the flow of traffic. As soon as i came to a complete stop, i tried to start the truck. Nothing. When i turned the key forward, the only thing that happened was the PATS red light in the cluster was flashing rapidly. After continuously cycling the key, a few things popped up in the message center. "trailer brake fault" (wasn't towing at the time so not sure what that was about) and the little fuel pump showed up like i was low on fuel? (tank was full) At this point, 5 mins has passed and i started to get a little concerned with traffic flying by me.. Anyways, i popped the hood, everything looked normal except for some corrosion on the battery cable. Shut the hood, went back into the truck, tried to start it, still nothing, same stuff displaying in the message center within the cluster.

Finally, about 10 mins had passed and was able to turn the key and see the normal dash lights, it started right up and i was very fortunate to get out of the way of traffic and to a safe spot. Luckily, we made it home after with no issues. No CEL or anything after i was able to start it.

Got home, checked all fluids, trans fluid is full, engine oil is good, coolant looks a little low but nothing too extreme.. Seems like a electrical issue to me? Maybe a bad ground, not sure and i am not a mechanic.. This is my first diesel that i use for my business, so it is imperative for me to get the issue taken care of immediately.

If anyone has any ideas, i greatly appreciate it.. If i cant figure it out, ill have to take it to a shop (not what i want to do, but i cant drive it like this, very unsafe)

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A few more things to add, i bought this truck about 5 months ago and have not had one issue till now. It is an 08 with 157,000 miles, DPF delete, H&S XRT Pro 225 street tune, S&B intake with brand new filter, has an aftermarket steel 51 gallon tank, 4wd only works with the hubs locked (were in the "Auto"position at the time of the incident today), 2" leveling kit, stock size tires, the truck DOES have a Western Plow mount and wiring harness for the plow which is still in tact (i plan on removing it as soon as i get the time).

Thats all i can think of for now as far as modifications that may have had something to do with the stalling while braking..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.