6.4 fuel filters - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 08:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 fuel filters

so i just got off the phone with the local dealership. i brought my truck in to have an injector replaced (which is weird because the motor only has 30k miles on it). However, the dealer called my back and said the extended warrantee would cover the injector. so after waiting two weeks and not hearing anything i called him and now he says the fuel pump went bad. this is funny cause i drove the truck to the lot with no problems (except the injector) and now he says it went bad cause i was not using the expensive ford brand fuel filters. he wants to charge me $1200 to fix it which i think is bs cause it seems like the mechanic might have messed it up when working on it. has anyone experienced this or had fuel pump problems from not using ford brand filters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2014, 09:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't think the aftermarket filters have the membrane on the secondary filter to serve as a water separator. FD4617 is the part number.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have been advised against it since day one , for the exact reason you are posting.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ive done some research on the warrantee, but does anyone know if it is voided by using non ford fuel filters?
Old 01-23-2014, 09:56 AM

Im not familiar with the aftermarket filters...I have been advised to use only the Ford brand or Racor (who makes the ford brand). The small cost savings of using aftermarket filters are quickly outweighed by expensive fuel system repairs...out of your own pocket. If you indeed used the wrong part...I would say they have a compelling case. to deny your warranty. If you used a part that was direct fit, just different manufacture, you could be ok. You need to read the details of the Magnuson-Moss warranty Act. It is designed to protect consumers againt unfair warranty denials, etc. Good luck!

Magnuson?Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-23-2014, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

okay one more question, and this may be a dumb one. I am now being told by the service manager that my warranty does not cover the fuel pump regardless. They say I have the basic diesel care coverage (7 yr/200k miles). I did not purchase the warranty ( the previous owner transferred it to me). anyway, when I look it up on Ford's warranty page, it says the basic plan covers the fuel injection pump. Is this different than the fuel pump? or is my dealer trying to pull a fast one on me?
Old 01-23-2014, 04:21 PM

Call Ford's customer service dept. They can advise you on what is covered. Then talk to service mgr

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-29-2014, 03:18 PM

ask them to clarify which pump is bad, supply or injection? if it is the supply pump on the frame you might want to just spend the money on an airdog instead. better pump better filters, no I don't have one but I do think about it.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any updates??? Would like to find out what the outcome was......
Old 02-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Are there many issues with the running the Air Dog? I know how finicky this fuel system is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.