6.4 losing power then dying - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 03:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 losing power then dying

I have a 6.4 with s&b intake h&s mini and custom exhaust, right after Christmas was taking a trip about 2 and a half hours away about half way there I had the cruise set at 80 and my cruise shut off and truck started slowing down accelerated and nothing put the pedal to the floor and it continued to drop to 55 then it stayed there. I pulled off on a dirt road shut it off let it sit for a couple of minutes started it back up and it has ran fine ever since, up until today. Today my wife was driving from where we live to the next town over got on the highway accelerated it fell on its face with no power then it just died, she tried starting wouldn't start for several minutes then finally when it did she could only make it a mile or so at a time. so I went to tow her in and it fired up I followed her for a little bit when it done it again was blowing white smoke out. Any ideas would help greatly I've searched the forums see other problems but none seem to be like mine. Also when she was cranking the dash was saying check brake system
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 04:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Every time we had an issue like that it was a P088, HPFP.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you check for codes using minimaxx?
Old 01-22-2014, 04:21 PM

No, I didn't check for codes forgot I could do that with mini max. The dealer called today said it was losing fuel pressure which is what I thought told them just to diagnose, but when they seen it was losing fuel pressure they checked fuel filters which were replaced with last oil change and said there was some restriction so they went ahead and put new filters on checked again still doing it now they are saying it is the low pressure fuel pump. does this sound feasible I haven't seen nothing on here about the low pressure going out its all been the high pressure are they just guessing and going to end up telling me I need a high pressure fuel pump. I don't know just seems like theyre doing like me start replacing the cheapest and work your way up til you finally fix it
Old 01-24-2014, 02:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mine is having problems similar to the ones you described. I replaced both my batteries and it helped a little bit, but it still cuts out and loses power. Any updates on your truck because mine is driving me crazy!!!
Thanks!
Old 01-29-2014, 03:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

it's gelled, change fuel filters, use good anti gel additive, might have bad fuel, (i'm fighting that problem now, 2nd set of filters in 2 months)
Old 04-05-2014, 12:03 PM

Mine ended up needing the low pressure fuel pump fuel filters and 2 new batteries

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.