Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Just injectors and thermostat will do this?

816 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  JimtenHaaf 
#1 ·
Hi, all. Wondering if I could get some help here. Have a 08 6.4 with 158,xxx miles. Truck has the additional 200,000 engine warranty that I bought when I got the truck new (Thankfully! It has paid for itself easily. haha) Anyways, this truck is on its 4th EGR cooler now, and it has recently had some weird problems. A couple weeks ago, my guys took off from the shop with the truck, and they made it a couple miles down the road before it almost completely lost power. It would idle fine, but any amount of throttle would drop the turbo to zero, and the rpm's would drop also. The truck sat in the shop for the rest of the day, and when I jumped in it to take it home, it ran fine. 4 days later, it did the same thing to me. I limped it to the closest gas station (it was midnight, and I was on the highway). I turned the truck off, bought some fuel additive thinking it may be gelled up fuel as it was around 0 degrees out. I put in the appropriate amount, and fired the truck back up. She ran flawless the other 6 miles or so. I parked the truck for around 5 hrs while I used a Bobcat to plow out some parking lots, then started the truck back up. I let it warm up, and after around 10 minutes, it started sounding really bad. It was like someone turned a switch. It started running like one of the old 7.3 from the early 90's when it's cold out. The truck was rocking back and forth just from how rough it was running. After a couple minutes of this, the engine light came on, and the truck shut off, unable to start again. I had it towed to the dealer, and by the time they got it, it started up with no engine light. They've had the truck almost 2 weeks now, and are telling me it's only #1 and #2 injectors, plus 2 faulty thermostats. Our company (a smaller family owned construction business) has had Fords since '98, and I've never had an engine run so bad that it actually shut off and would not start just because of 2 injectors. We've had the 7.3's, 6.0's, this one 6.4, and we're looking currently at buying a 6.7 to add to the fleet. I just want to get some expertise on this, as I'm supposed to be picking up the truck later today or tomorrow morning, and I want to make sure anything that could be wrong with the truck has been checked. Thanks in advance for any help!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.