08' 4x4 problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 03:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08' 4x4 problem

Little background on my truck, it is a 2008 F250 6.4L with 85,000 miles. 4x4 worked just fine until yesterday. I could shift on the fly to 4HI, no problems at all until now. Shifting on the fly as of yesterday doesn't work, the light will come on and the vacuum pump fires but no 4x4 action. Last night I went under the truck when I selected 4HI and the front axle was not turnable by hand so I assumed it was good to go. I left for work today and 4x4 was not on. I can hear the pump run and can hear an audible sound of something actuating when the truck is not running (key on). So I drive to work and figure I would try something. I stopped, turned off the truck, keyed it on, selected 4HI, let it go until the vacuum pump stopped and started the truck and voila I now have 4HI. For some reason it worked there but not on the fly and not the other times I tried yesterday afternoon.

I tried turning on the A/C to "face" and it did not default to defrost which I think tells me I don't have a leak. I looked at the vacuum lines to my hubs and under the hood, nothing looks out of the ordinary.

What's my issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

On the passenger side of the radiator shroud is a solenoid mounted to it with an electrical connector and a set of vacuum lines...these are known to be problematic.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just bought my 10 a week ago and am now having the same problem
I will have to check that solenoid
Old 01-19-2014, 08:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matted2thefloor View Post
On the passenger side of the radiator shroud is a solenoid mounted to it with an electrical connector and a set of vacuum lines...these are known to be problematic.
How do you know if it is the problem? How can I test?
Old 01-20-2014, 11:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Can somebody test their solenoid for me and tell me what you find? I think i've diagnosed that it's the solenoid but want to verify with somebody who has a working system.

With the PVH solenoid connector plugged in, I used a paperclip to run a jumper wire from the outer wires to battery ground. The wire closest to the battery clicks (faintly) and causes the vacuum pump to turn on. The wire on the opposite side of the connector closest to the drivers seat does not click the solenoid when grounded to battery ground and does nothing. This was done while the key is on the RUN position.

Somebody who's system works, can you tell me what happens if you run these tests? Does your solenoid click when either of those wires are grounded?
Old 01-20-2014, 11:46 AM

the solenoids job is to activate the vacuum pulse to the hubs in varied duration and actual strength this will provide a lock / unlock signal

I don't recall if the electrical input is + - - + 12v or different since it is activated via a module /PCM
Old 01-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah, I read a million articles and I understand exactly how it works, i'm just not sure about my questions above. Should both outer pins (when grounded) cause the solenoid to click or one or the other? One does and the other does not right now, trying to determine if it is faulty or not but i'd like someone with a working system to check.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalaz View Post
Yeah, I read a million articles and I understand exactly how it works,
Old 01-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
I know how it works but no articles said which pins are grounded when. Thanks for the post though........
Old 01-20-2014, 12:07 PM

well instead of jacking paper clips in it why don't u hook a vacuum gauge up to the output and see what it does when u use the dash switch ?

i have the pulse and strength specs but it sounds like you already have that ? if not just ask

I just threw away an old ESOF solenoid yesterday but I suggest that if you pop the cap off just to take a look see that u pay close attention to what comes out and the order it goes back it can get confusing ,, trust Me LOL

I had the electrical info I will see if i can find i dug it up when i I made 2 low possible on mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.