Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Sever squealing on cold start

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  diesel23 
#1 ·
The squeal started once the temp dropped below 40 degrees and has been getting worse ever since. The temp is now 0 or below when I start the truck in the morning and the squeal is loud enough to drain out the sound of the motor. Serpentine and AC belt were replaced just before fall. The sound completley goes away once the truck warms up... what could this be?

#2 ·
I would start with the belt tensioners and idler pulleys. They are common problems.

#3 ·
Is it belts or exhaust sound? When squealing, give it a blip on the throttle, does the tone change at all, higher/lower/more/less/stop?

When you did the serp and AC belt did you do any idlers or tensioners? If not, start there for sake of your new belts anyways.

#4 ·
The more I listen to it the more it sounds like a squeaky belt. The sound is intermittent, not constant, like a squeaky bearing or pulley would make. I just don't get why it goes away when the the truck is warm. I'm going to try spraying the belts tomorrow with belt dressing just to see if the squeak stops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.