Losing Power with white smoke randomly. WHY? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Losing Power with white smoke randomly. WHY?

I ve been having my delete pipe and my sct livewire in for about 3 months. This white smoke has happened to me about 6 or 7 times so far, Im also losing power when this happens. For example the white smoke only comes out when i get on the pedal really good and the truck will bogg down. If anyone could help it would be appreciated i get pretty nervous when this happens cause i hear white smoke is not gooooood at all. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 05:46 PM

Raw diesel?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:02 PM

I copied this from another thread... Matt from Spartan Deisel posted. Different engine but simular symptom:

Raw, completely unburned diesel smoke is white. Period. This isn't an opinion, it is just fact. The color becomes darker with more complete combustion (until it starts to become opaque/clear).

Here is a quote straight from Ford concerning this precise issue-

Some vehicles equipped with a 6.0L diesel engine may experience white smoke, lack of power, exhaust odor, surges, running rough, or no start when cold. These conditions are caused by the injector spool valve sticking internally during cold engine operation (engine oil temperature (EOT) less than 70 F ( 21 C)) . The concern is typically evident following a cold start after an overnight soak at ambient temperatures below 70 F (21 C). and may last 3-5 minutes or longer as the vehicle warms up. The concern completely disappears after driving and the EOT is greater than 150 F (66 C). This concern typically occurs on vehicles with greater than 15,000 miles (24,140 Km/h).

I've also included in PDF file format a complete copy of the Ford TSB concerning this issue. If you won't take our word for it, surely you will take Ford's.

When the spool gets "sticky", it slows down. This causes huge reductions in injection timing (to the point where fuel is still firing during the exhaust stroke) and a good portion of the fuel never even sees compression or combustion; it simply leaves out into the exhaust during the exhaust stroke. This causes low power, missing, and white smoke. The knocking comes from residual fuel that gets left in the cylinder and prematurely burns on the next compression cycle.

The truck in question does not have any signs or symptoms of cooling system problems- the white smoke coming out the exhaust is not from water/coolant but from raw fuel. The newest flash from Ford should help, if not solve the issue. If it doesn't, the injectors will need to be removed and either replaced or remanufactured to solve the stiction issue.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Rice Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlicks2go View Post
I copied this from another thread... Matt from Spartan Deisel posted. Different engine but simular symptom:

Raw, completely unburned diesel smoke is white. Period. This isn't an opinion, it is just fact. The color becomes darker with more complete combustion (until it starts to become opaque/clear).

Here is a quote straight from Ford concerning this precise issue-

Some vehicles equipped with a 6.0L diesel engine may experience white smoke, lack of power, exhaust odor, surges, running rough, or no start when cold. These conditions are caused by the injector spool valve sticking internally during cold engine operation (engine oil temperature (EOT) less than 70 F ( 21 C)) . The concern is typically evident following a cold start after an overnight soak at ambient temperatures below 70 F (21 C). and may last 3-5 minutes or longer as the vehicle warms up. The concern completely disappears after driving and the EOT is greater than 150 F (66 C). This concern typically occurs on vehicles with greater than 15,000 miles (24,140 Km/h).

I've also included in PDF file format a complete copy of the Ford TSB concerning this issue. If you won't take our word for it, surely you will take Ford's.

When the spool gets "sticky", it slows down. This causes huge reductions in injection timing (to the point where fuel is still firing during the exhaust stroke) and a good portion of the fuel never even sees compression or combustion; it simply leaves out into the exhaust during the exhaust stroke. This causes low power, missing, and white smoke. The knocking comes from residual fuel that gets left in the cylinder and prematurely burns on the next compression cycle.

The truck in question does not have any signs or symptoms of cooling system problems- the white smoke coming out the exhaust is not from water/coolant but from raw fuel. The newest flash from Ford should help, if not solve the issue. If it doesn't, the injectors will need to be removed and either replaced or remanufactured to solve the stiction issue.
GREAT FIND!! Thanks for posting
Old 08-25-2008, 06:12 PM

thanks guys for the info, truck did it again this weekend on the interstate, Guess my next step is to put it back to stock and try to get ford to fix this problem.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:24 PM

my first thought was a blown head gasket, but keep us posted.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:44 PM

one more question guys? should i put it back to stock and drive it for a couple of days to see if its gonna blow white smoke , and then bring it to ford. because im sure if i bring it to them they gonna drive it around the corner and say nothings wrong with it .
Old 08-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Rice Hunter

You need to do that before you take it in to the dealer anyway. Ford can detect your tuner if it is not cleared. Just drive it a few days stock. IT SUCKS I KNOW!!
Keep us informed
Old 08-25-2008, 07:29 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strkr~X View Post
my first thought was a blown head gasket, but keep us posted.
blown head gasket will not cause white smoke out of exhaust , egr cooler will if it is coolant , if no coolant loss then thats not it

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
thanks guys for the info, truck did it again this weekend on the interstate, Guess my next step is to put it back to stock and try to get ford to fix this problem.
get codes pulled before returning to stock, f you return to stock you will clear all codes and ford will probably not find anything , then youll be right back to square one , in my opinion white smoke is either a egr cooler just in the beginning stages of goin out , a sticking egr valve can cause a white grayish smoke if sticking or clogged , get codes pulled and see before doing anything else

as far as what matt posted in a different thread is absolutely correct ,ive argued the white smoke being fuel many times , alot of people think its only black but only time white smoke from raw fuel is generally seen is during cold ambient temperatures in which the latest calibration has helped alot with on the 6.o, there are alot of could be or should be , but like i say on a 6.0 its generally only seen when cold at initial start up, dont see white smoke when engine is hot from fuel unless , injector is hung open, if you arent feeling a skip then that shouldnt be your problem

Last edited by SCUFFY828; 08-25-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:14 PM

bear with me still new to this, but you say pull codes before returning to stock. When i plug my sct in its going to show me codes and then i clear them? Im not sure this will be the first time taking the sct livewire out .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.