P2291 Won't start.... HPFP? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 04:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P2291 Won't start.... HPFP?

NEW UPDATE: Well its down again with same issue!!!! Was cruising down highway and I felt it kinda give out then go again and I watched the fuel pressure go from in the 10's to ZERO! So I coasted to the next turnoff, let it sit for 10 mins. Started back up made it another half mile then she was done again... I heard the AirDog over amping and some cavitation so after about everything being replaced in the fuel system I can only reasonably think that it has to be an issue in the tank. Once the fuel settles for a few minutes its starts back up only to die again... I've got oven 5 grand put into this since it first started acting up... I'm thinking the only thing I can do now it drop the tank, check the sending unit, check tank for debri, and install the single tube sump system in there...

UPDATE: As of today they still havent figured out the exact issue with the truck. They believe its the FASS system returning the fuel to the filler neck instead of sending it to the engine. They said they got the truck to start if the pinch the return line... Throwing the stock system back on to check... Been almost a month since I've had my truck.......

So I've been fighting with my truck for a little while now. About to throw in the towel...

Bought the truck a little over a month ago. Has 40K miles on her.

08 F350

All the normal bolt on mods, down pipe, exhaust, intake, egr delete, fass system, mini maxx...

I'm getting a P2291 code, its the only code I'm getting. I can get it to start just to have it die a few seconds later. I have changed both filters on the fass pump, and the fuel filter on the engine. Tank has plenty of fuel. Get only a small amt of air out of the strator valve but never get any fuel...

I've heard from a few people it could possible be the fass pump... Or more than likely the HPFP. Anyone else have any input or ideas on things I could try before having to send it in for a hpfp replacement? Any help/input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

Last edited by Hoosierdiesel; 12-27-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 12:56 PM

Dealer called today... HPFP... Said it could be as high as $4796 final bill.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would think, if yor not getting fuel out of strator valve it would be your lift pump, or fass pump that has died, you are taking the strator valve loose and cycling the key, it should blow fuel out good
Old 11-14-2013, 11:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the same problem, although I just completed rebulding the motor. P2291, I've bled the system good but it still pops the code and doesn't start.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance39 View Post
I would think, if yor not getting fuel out of strator valve it would be your lift pump, or fass pump that has died, you are taking the strator valve loose and cycling the key, it should blow fuel out good

Thats exactley what I thought too. I was getting quite a bit of pressure at the filter on the fass system though. I know that pump was working buy I dunno if maybe just not enough pressure... I knew ford would automatically go with the hpfp. I just kinda ran out of options other than getting a new fass pump and hoping that was it. I need the truck working though so I couldnt keep messing with it.

Suppose to hear from dealer tomorrow on its status. They should have gotten parts in yesterday...
Old 11-26-2013, 02:24 PM

Well 2 1/2 weeks later and about $3400 later I got my truck back. Only to have the tech say he doesnt even think it was the hpfp. Said the fuel gauge was not working properly and may have ran it out of fuel.... Dont know how/why the tech would change out a hpfp when it was possibly just out of fuel....
Old 11-26-2013, 03:27 PM

I got this code today after replacing fuel filters. Cycled the key 6 times. Truck stumbled and picked rough for a few seconds threw a wrench. I shut it off cycles the key a few more times cleared the code and no more issues fuel pressure read the normal 4.8 at idle on the mini. I'm thinking you just had air in the system. I'd argue them on the bill they should cover some of it. St least the labor for mis diagnosis
Old 11-27-2013, 04:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The service manager will probably deny what the tech said. After having this problem with my truck I remembered there is a specific procedure for clearing air out of the system. I'm not sure where I found out about it at the dealer or on one of these forums. I can post it if y'all like.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:40 PM

One of the techs that worked on my truck spent some time on the phone with FASS and figured something out I didnt know. FASS says their system doesnt NOT self prime and when it loses it prime the truck will not start. You have the fill the water sep. filter with fuel and loosen the fuel filter while the pump is running to re-prime. Happened to me again today but after I primed it she started right up. Didnt throw any codes through...

Wonder if its the same with the AIRDOG, pretty much has to be I'd think.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:54 PM

Updated ^

Cant wait to go in and talk to them about the 4k they charged me that fixed absolutely nothing. They'll probably try to charge me some more.... lol.. not going to go over well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.