Whine with RPMs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Whine with RPMs

I have 08 F250, 6.4 with 93K miles. I have whining sound that sounds like the good old ford power steering whine, but the turn of the wheel doesnt change it. It seems to come when truck is good and warm. It whines in all gears, even park. It seems to go up and down with the idle or rpms. So far I have found it could be the idler pulley. So i looked at the pulley while running, it does have a slight wobble. Has anyone else experienced this?? Would it be a warranty issue?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 04:57 AM

I think I have a similar whine coming from my truck. Im still investigating where its coming from because I dont hear mine at idle or reving it. only when there is a load on the motor.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:37 AM

I have the same problem as the original poster

I replaced my power steering pump and nothing changed... The whine is still there, I read to check the pulley's, and I as well as the OP noticed an idler pulley with a small amount of play but haven't replaced it yet.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:03 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to freebass
Mine did the same thing. Today, i found the whine was the turbo. The bearings are shot and the shaft wiggles quite substantially.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:20 PM

Freebass, how did you check your turbo to check? Is the entire turbo going to have to be replaced now for you? What were your symptoms and circumstances? Thanks.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:00 PM

I tried to put a video on the last response I took with my iPhone, but since I'm not upgraded it would not let me.
I have had the whining for about the last 20-30k miles. Delivering RV's across the country I put 140k on the truck last year. The whine started low as if it was a power steering issue judging from past experiences. But I began to doubt that after awhile since the power steering system was without issue and then placed my concern to the pulley Idler/tensioner bearings. About a month ago at a friends house during start up, we opened the hood. Thou before I could only hear it driving at or above 30mph or so, I heard a faint whine while it was Idling. I got up on top of the motor and the noise was coming directly from the turbo area. That focused my concern to there right up until this past Friday while on my way to the NASCAR race at TMS didn't get more than 50 miles from the house when the truck just shut off at 70mph and I luckily coasted to an off ramp that was little traffic with a truck parking area. There I pulled DTC P2290 and called the tow truck. That kinda made me think maybe it was the HPOP going out making all the noise, but when I pulled the air filter and branch hoses, grabbed the turbo shaft and could wiggle the heck out of it. I dont know about the turbo being good or bad. Nothing has scrapped the walls and the impeller looks fine. I'm thinking as long as the shaft is not chewed up the new bearings should be just fine.
I put it on You Tube to see if you like.
Bad 6.0 Turbo Bearings - YouTube
Old 11-05-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebass View Post
I tried to put a video on the last response I took with my iPhone, but since I'm not upgraded it would not let me.
I have had the .... Bad 6.0 Turbo Bearings - YouTube
hmm, not sure if I'm experiencing the same thing... mines been doing it for about 2 months now, and no issues with the turbo. can't here it at idle, although I'm sure it's just being muffled out by the motor... well hopefully it's not a turbo for me, cause i have a 6.4 so there's 2.... I really feel like it's something havin' to do with a pulley though, just my gut feeling I guess... I did look at your video though.. are you going to have to send it to the shop, or it as easier as replacing the bearing and putting it back together... I've never had a turbo torn apart, so just curious.

-Josh
Old 11-07-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLElectric View Post
I have 08 F250, 6.4 with 93K miles. I have whining sound that sounds like the good old ford power steering whine, but the turn of the wheel doesnt change it. It seems to come when truck is good and warm. It whines in all gears, even park. It seems to go up and down with the idle or rpms. So far I have found it could be the idler pulley. So i looked at the pulley while running, it does have a slight wobble. Has anyone else experienced this?? Would it be a warranty issue?

Thanks
I had a similar issue recently. I had a wire pop lose on the tuner and it made the truck whine, but did not put it into limp mode. I secured the wires and retuned it and everything was fine. I am not sure if the noise you are referencing is similar to mine, or is a mechanical issue, but just offering this in case it is a simple fix.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Update!!!

I took it to Ford because I thought it may still be under warranty. 25 days out of warranty. The mechanic drove it for a couple days to finally get it to make the noise. It kinda would come and go. Definitley louder in the cab. As soon as it made the noise, he checked powersteering fluid. It was low. So added some. I had checked the fluid several times and he did when I took it in. It read full. There guess was air somehow in the line. No noise since. So we will see. I will update if it comes back.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:32 AM

I did pull the turbo and indeed, the power steering whine I have been hearing slowly getting louder for the past 20,000 miles has been confirmed as turbo bearings (bronze or brass bushings actually).

I took my time, cleaned everything best I could, (Sea Foam worked best on the aluminum) scraped as much of the carbon off the exhaust side impellar as possible & wire brushed the heck out of it.
My VGT was still working, i just scrapped it with a razor & wire wheel as well. The unison ring is tough, I block sanded that with 180 grit. Put it all back together using 2,000 deg anti seize. The Turbo Rebuild Kit I bought from Midwest Turbo Connection.
I will say that Midwest turbo answered my questions to customer service with a quickness and eagerness to make me fully happy with their product. Rare
The kit was $144 delivered. It was also the only kit that has the 5 "O" rings included for the turbo/VGT activator that I found.
I did see alot of upgradeds offered for a 360deg thrust washer over the stock 270deg one, but I had virtually no wear on mine with 215,000 miles on it. The bronze bearings however were subsantually F***ed UP!
The only teardown issue I really encounted was the Exhaust side plate that had 3 screws in it. 1 came out, 2 broke. Of those 1 came out with an easy-out, the other I had to drill and tap.
I took many pictures at teardown, followed a you tube example by Diesel Tech Ron & Various others as well, but his is the best site I've seen so far.
After install I pulled the FICM Breaker from under the hood and cranked several 30 second intervals until my Scangauge showed 1500 or so on the ICP.
Started up great, but the best part was the result.
NO MORE WHINE!!!!! Also, I have been replacing Injectors lately (I still have 3 of the original 8 running) due to allot of missfire as well as smoking especially during throttle up. All that went away as well. What a bonus that was.
I put an IPR "O" Ring and Screen Kit (Alliant, Part#AP0035) in while the turbo was out and easilly accessable $36 and a Turbo Mount/"O" Ring Kit (3C3z-9T514-AG) $11. Thru Xtreme Diesel.

Finding instructions online about anything Turbo & 6.0 related is evidently "Top Secret", But I did find this thru "RiffRaff Diesel".

Hope this helps. No special tools of any kind needed beyond a torque wrench and easy outs. Real happy with my result no doubt. I'll be glad to help as much as I can offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.