Clicking/Ticking Noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clicking/Ticking Noise

I have a 08 6.4 F250 and i'm starting here a clicking/ticking type of noise coming from what i believe is the fuel cooling pump. Has anyone had this type of problem or know what is going on? This my first diesel truck need some help or ideas on what I should be afraid of getting ready to take a 1,500 mile trip in two weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 10:57 AM

I'm also new to my diesel truck and I've heard a dripping sound the other weekend coming from under the front passager side floor. Is that where you heard it?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My noise was coming from drivers side by the hood and firewall. A friend located the noise it and found out it was a vacuum pump, either the pump is bad or I've got a leak somewhere. he disconnected the power to. Now noise is gone!
Old 10-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If your vacuum pump is running constantly, it's probably a leaky or disconnected vacuum line. If you turn your key to the on position but don't start the truck, you'll hear the pump run. It should stop after 30 seconds to a minute or so. I don't really know how long exactly, but it will stop. If it doesn't, you've got a leak somewhere. The vacuum system in these trucks is fairly limited, meaning it doesn't run very many things, so it shouldn't be too tough to track the leak down.

If you don't have the pump plugged in, certain things won't work. These might be things you'll miss, like air conditioning and ESOF 4x4. Then again, that's all the vacuum system runs, so maybe you won't miss them. However, I like AC and 4x4, so I'd be inclined to fix the leak.

For dnaber, a drip coming from the passenger side could have been condensation on the AC compressor. The amount of water that builds up on that thing when it's humid out surprises a lot of people the first time they see it (including me).
Old 10-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes it was running all the time. My goal is to track down the leak. We are pass the AC season, but 4 X 4 season starts soon (maybe this weekend, depending which way the storm goes) but thats fun of living in North Dakota!, thanks for your help and info. I enjoy this forum reading and I'm learning a lot.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:36 AM
Premium Member

It's normal.
There's a TBS about it.

Here's mine:

Mine only happens when she's been sitting for a while and I start her up and last until she's warm.

Also happens when I'm towing a heavy load on a very hot day.
I was thinking it was oil issue aka metal on metal but it comes and goes sometimes...

Does the sounds and location match?
I did the video for this one reason so other can see if it is the same.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Rocker arms ding ding ding if you pull air cleaner out it will make bock bock bock sound through the intake!! you can hear the sound at 0.39 bock bock bock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.