white smoke randomly - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to phsbaseball38@aol.com
white smoke randomly

i got a weird problem going on once in a great while. i know white smoke is a really bad thing with diesel but i have now 8000 something miles on my truck and three times now when im on the high way and get on it sometimes white smoke will come out and then the truck is fine. it did it once before i even put my dpf delete on or did the chip. and it did it for the third time today and the truck runs fine still. so i dunno wat is causing can any of you guys relate or help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

In my own situations there have been two causes of white smoke. First is the white regen smoke when the exhaust system is not up to temp. Usually burns off after a mile or less. I watch all the regens on a livewire, and every time, there is at least SOME white smoke when it starts. Usually very little in hotter weather.

The other situation (only happened to me once but heard others complain of it on another forum) involves the air filter and it possibly becoming saturated with water (and/or possibly a sensor or something intake related). In a very heavy rain storm, I had driven for about an hour at a steady 50mph in torrential rain and very saturated roads. I had to slow down to go around a ramp to get onto the next road... and upon acceleration, the power was just NOT there. Looking back in my rear view, I was fogging the road with heavy white smoke and it was NOT in regen (according to the livewire). Lifting off of the pedal and getting back on seemed to help it. It ran like it wanted to keep doing that on heavy accel (50% or more throttle), for the rest of the day. The next day, after the monsoon was done, it was fine. Has never done it since.

Not sure if that helps you try to determine what is going on, but just figured I'd share.

Last edited by ZeroOne; 06-23-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:00 AM

you telling me on top of everything else now I can't run my 6.4 when it's raining heavy?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:54 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

the truck is in regen mode when you are seing the white smoke its normal and nothing you can change , its supposed to do that
Old 06-24-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
the truck is in regen mode when you are seing the white smoke its normal and nothing you can change , its supposed to do that
why is it supposed to do that.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:25 AM

diesels are not supposed to smoke white unless they are cold period.i dont know if ford told you that bull **** but believe it is not normal.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
Very true, but that is not the ONLY time they do it. The Livewire has proven that to me on one occasion with a possibly saturated air filter or something related, in the heavy rain situation. The filter minder did NOT trip either, which seems odd if that were the case. Every OTHER white smoke event that I've had has been a regen. I run the livewire as a monitor every day.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzstroker View Post
why is it supposed to do that.
It's been said on another forum that a possible reason for the white smoke is a DOC that is not up to temp yet. When the truck enters the regen cycle and the raw fuel is dumped into the exhaust stroke, it is supposed to hit a hot DOC (the thing in front of the DPF) and ignite, burning the DPF out. If the DOC is not hot enough, the fuel does not ignite and you see it coming out the back.

I've gotten the MOST white smoke when the truck was driven and warmed up right BEFORE it wanted to regen, but shut off (just by chance, NOT during the regen). When its started and driven again, the engine comes up to temp very quickly (since it already was from a previous trip) but the exhaust has had just enough time to cool. The regen starts up and he smoke only lasts for a mile or less.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:08 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzstroker View Post
diesels are not supposed to smoke white unless they are cold period.i dont know if ford told you that bull **** but believe it is not normal.
when a 6.4 goes into regen mode to clean out the dpf i have seen several smoke white , blue, black whatever , im not gona argue about it , thats is something they will do ,depending on the amount of contaminates in dpf depends on what it does during regeneration process, and ford hasnt told me anything , that is what i see and hear from 6.4 customers
Old 06-24-2008, 07:10 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroOne View Post
Very true, but that is not the ONLY time they do it. The Livewire has proven that to me on one occasion with a possibly saturated air filter or something related, in the heavy rain situation. The filter minder did NOT trip either, which seems odd if that were the case. Every OTHER white smoke event that I've had has been a regen. I run the livewire as a monitor every day.
i can see that also, i have just not personaly seen or had any complaints of a saturated air filter from water , im sure the original poster would appreciate all the info he can get
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.