What might cause this? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What might cause this?

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum. I recently purchased a 2008 F250, 6.4L. Currently has 105k on the engine. Shortly after I purchased it I noticed a blue-ish smoke pouring from the tail pipe as I drive down the road. No specific reason or time that it starts. It just does it randomly. It'll do it for a mile or 2 and it will stop. It's not a black smoke, it's blue colored. Would you happen to have any ideas on what this is caused from? I get some weird looks from passer by's when it does it.

I appreciate it.

CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 07:27 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Is it in regen when this happens?
Old 09-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't want to sound ignorant but I'm not certain what regent means or how I would know? I apologize but I'm new to diesels.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:08 AM

Regen (Regeneration) is when the DPF (Diesel Particular Filter/Exhaust Filter) is cleaning it's self. There are two type of regens
1st is Passive. Your truck is always doing this. But temps must be hot enough to be effective. Maintaining RPMs above 1500 is ideal.
2nd is Active. When your truck is dumping raw fuel during the exhaust stroke on cylinders 7 & 8 making the exhaust gases hotter effectively burning the soot in the DPF. Truck performance is limited during this time. Some guess by 50-100HP and exhaust gasses can exceed 1300F. When my truck regens, I can feel it immediately.

Stop and go traffic is not good for the regen process. The lower exhaust temps allow the DPF to clog faster requiring more active regens. Note each time you do regen. The distance between regens should be between 250-600 miles and could last from 1-20 miles all dependent on the state of the DPF. If your regening much more than that or for longer distances then you may have a problem. * The numbers I added are "soft" numbers as every truck is different.

The wrong type of oil can also cause DPF failure. Stick with CJ-4 rated oil as your truck was designed to use..

Do you have oil in the tail pipe? Could be turbo seals, burnt valve, piston rings...

Last edited by DisposableHero; 09-20-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I appreciate the reply. I just noticed there is another thread with the exact same issues. I do not notice any oil leakage from what I can tell. Everything seems to be clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.