$13,000.00 for what?!?!?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 06:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
$13,000.00 for what?!?!?!

The dealer want's me to fork over 13 grand to fix my truck, or better yet, have my insurance company do it.

Here's the scoop.

2008 6.4 F250

My truck has the 6.4 curse. The HPFP issue is the latest. A few weeks ago my truck would go into limp mode when I got close to an empty tank of fuel. It gradually got worse and finally a few days ago started throwing P0087 and P0088 intermittently. Know that I have the "Diesel Guard" extended warranty, I took it in.

Ford calls me yesterday and tell me that the entire fuel system needs to be replaced front to back including the HPFP and suggests that I call my insurance company. They claim that fuel contamination is the cause, thus warranty is out the window.

I know of the HPFP issues with these truck after reading on here for the last few days. What I don't know is all my options.

I told them to leave it alone, and flash the computer with the TSB that widens the sensor parameters for now. They weren't too thrilled that I had done my research an said that the code would just come right back on.

What are my options? Do I really need an entire new fuel system? Will the flash get me by long enough to trade it in? Ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 07:21 AM

No insurance won't cover it, Ford has a duty to prove "contaminated fuel". Even so if it was... all they need to do is "flush" the system, change filters and get your warranty to fix the broken parts.

Insurance would most likely deny for wear and tear.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Premium Member

Here's the deal per Ford. Yes the tsb usually doesn't fix the p0088 from my experience. If they remove your hpfp and remove the rear cover from it and there are any signs of water or rust warranty isn't going to cover it. Warranty doesn't cover what the condition of the fuel is. We have had several insurance companys cover 6.4s and 6.7s for fuel contamination.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:51 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon5212 View Post
No insurance won't cover it, Ford has a duty to prove "contaminated fuel". Even so if it was... all they need to do is "flush" the system, change filters and get your warranty to fix the broken parts.

Insurance would most likely deny for wear and tear.
That's not how it works, big guy.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post
That's not how it works, big guy.
Yeah... actually it is... I work for a large company doing auto claims... 99% of the time it is denied. If it is covered... usually we pay for a fuel flush which most of the time is under your deductible again a denial...

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:31 AM

You need to tell your dealer that fuel contamination occurred because of the poorly designed fuel water seperator. If a piece of junk covers the water in fuel sensor it'll never go off. But that's a fine line, it's somewhat on you as you should have known that the fuel, water seperator was a poor design. But it's also Ford as they should have given a recall on these trucks to fix the issue. Not to be a hard a$$, but that's the way I see it.

Don't see how they can fairly do that to you as one tank of bad fuel can do that, and we, as consumers, have no control over the fuel we buy. We can buy from reputable stations but still no guarantee on the fuel we get.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon5212 View Post
Yeah... actually it is... I work for a large company doing auto claims... 99% of the time it is denied. If it is covered... usually we pay for a fuel flush which most of the time is under your deductible again a denial...

Thanks.
No, it's not.

If fuel contamination is the root cause of a fuel system failure, the fuel system warranty is void. Period. No amount of flushing is going to reinstate that. If the dealer is on the ball, they've flagged the vehicle in OASIS as fuel system coverage cancelled. Flushing the fuel system isn't magically going to remove traces of water/gasoline/**** fuel contamination on the parts that have failed.

I was talking from a warranty aspect, not an insurance aspect.

Sorry if that came across the wrong way. It appears I read your first post the wrong way also.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
No, it's not.

If fuel contamination is the root cause of a fuel system failure, the fuel system warranty is void. Period. No amount of flushing is going to reinstate that. If the dealer is on the ball, they've flagged the vehicle in OASIS as fuel system coverage cancelled. Flushing the fuel system isn't magically going to remove traces of water/gasoline/**** fuel contamination on the parts that have failed.

Sorry if that came across the wrong way. It appears I read your first post the wrong way also.
Ahh ok, well we are on the same page then. To the OP good luck on getting insurance to cover it. But i'm doubting fuel "contamination" is the problem. That's usually going to happen over time and not all at once.

Most of the time for insurance to even look at it, a fuel sample will need to be sent out to be analyzed... 2-4 weeks minimum. Depending on what that turns up most of the time it comes down to poor filtration and/or lack of maintenance.

I can't tell you how many of these claims I've seen, yet can count on my hand how many actually get paid.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
No, it's not.

100% correct! Just did entire fuel system last week. When water passes through high pressure pump it cavitates pump sending very small metal chips into injector rails contaminating all 8 injectors then send remains back to tank!!

Last edited by JUGERNAUT; 09-29-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUGERNAUT View Post
100% correct! Just did entire fuel system last week. When water passes through high pressure pump it cavitates pump sending very small metal chips into injector rails contaminating all 8 injectors then send remains back to tank!!
Ouch... this isn't even my truck and these statements make my butt hole pucker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.