Fuel Cooler Reservoir Empty with red residue, multiple codes, just purchased - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 06:56 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Cooler Reservoir Empty with red residue, multiple codes, just purchased

Good Morning and thank you in advance for your help. I just purchased my 2008 f-250 with the 6.4 from Texas. I drove it 1000 miles back north. I have ordered some new parts including a t-stat set, updated radiator hoses, WIF sensor/gasket to eliminate to the constant drain water alert. I drained almost a gallon of diesel out multiple times, there was no water in there. Anyways, my current problems: I received these three codes P2269 water in fuel condition, p0128 coolant thermostat performance, p008c fuel cooler pump control circuit/open. The truck is running very cool, so I will be replacing t-stats. As for the other codes, I checked inside of the fuel cooler reservoir to find it almost completely empty, with only red clay looking residue inside. My Degas bottle is also low, about 6 inches below the cold fill line, even when warm. I would like to know the best method to clean out all of the sludge in the fuel cooler reservoir, I am assuming a regular coolant flush wont get to here? There was also red clay like residue in my degas bottle, was the wrong coolant used maybe? What should my fuel temp levels be at, I am guessing my pump is fried now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 04:03 PM

the red residue in the fuel system sounds like the previous owner used off road diesel. which probably means that it had a tune on it at sometime. also check the tuber hose that connects to the horizontal egr cooler. I have seen on 3 different trucks where the clamp has come loose.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The fuel cooler is separate from the engine coolant system. If it's empty, that's bad. Not only is it a fuel cooler, it also cools the turbos. Cooler fuel is good for power, but not a complete necessity. I don't think hot fuel will have a huge effect on your fuel pumps, but I guess it's possible. If it takes out the primary pump that won't be too terrible. If it takes out the HPFP though, then you'll have expensive problems. Turbos that get too hot will burn up though. Figure out why your fuel cooler is empty, you don't want to lose your turbos, although that wouldn't be quite as bad as replacing the HPFP.

It's possible that the residue is from different coolant types mixing together, or maybe it's just been too long since they were changed. Either way, you should flush both systems and fill with a CAT ELC-1 rated coolant.

You'll also want to figure out if the engine cooling system is leaking. There are a few regular culprits, most notably the radiator and hoses, seconded by the EGR coolers (assuming your truck still has an EGR). The front cover and head gaskets would be the next most likely culprits.

There really is no good way to clean out of the oil cooler. Just flush the system well with water, chemical treatments can cause the built up scale to flake off quickly and clog the oil cooler even more. Just try to clean the system out as best you can and then maintain it.

BTW, you don't need to drain a gallon out of your water separator. Just drain it until you see clean diesel coming out, it'll probably only be a couple ounces.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

Thank you for the input kmack and b. adams. I have got the entire fuel cooler system cleaned out. The pump was shot so I have a new one I am going to install. I think the red residue was just rusty water after all. I will post after the install is done.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The red clay residue has nothing to do with off road fuel. Also when you say the truck is running cool what temp is the coolant at
Old 09-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just to clarify, the fuel cooling circuit does not cool the turbos as such, but it does cool the electronics in the Variable Geometry Turbocharger actuator. There is a linkage rod that connects between the HP turbo & actuator. Inputs from the ECM control the position of the vanes on the exhaust turbine side of the turbocharger which in turn controls how much boost the turbocharger makes at any given load or engine speed.

Fuel cooling is essential for longevity of the HPFP. With the extreme pressures it works at under load, cooling is required to remove heat from the fuel/pump & provide adequate lubrication to the pump .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.