2010 F350 jerking violently - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2010 F350 jerking violently

I have a 2010 F350 dually with an H&S tuner. When I am towing my 5th wheel trailer hauling my telehandler it will get violently jerking when going into an incline at about 40 to 50 mph. The only way it will stop is letting off the accelerator. It will also do this with just the empty trailer, just not as severe. I am towing with the tuner turned back to stock. Ford dealer thought it was driveshaft angle because of the added weight, which I had my doubts. They ordered shims and shimed the rear axle. Made no difference. They are baffled as what could be causing it. I only tow this about every 6 weeks. Thinking of trading the truck as it has been frustrating to try and figure out. If I towed often I would definitely be trading for something else. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. I have been really happy with this truck otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Premium Member

If i were to guess...axle hop.
I think i may look into traction bars and at least run the tuner on tow. I leave mine on performance, i just watch my boost and temps. pulling my skidsteer and 24ft trailer i havent seen a difference in the stock temps or boost spikes on either setting, just dont hammer on it while pulling heavy.

You have air bags or anything like that.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:33 PM

Phil,

My 2010 F350 SRW does this as well. Anywhere between 35 MPH and up, on acceleration, and usually up an incline, my truck will hesitate and eventually surge forward or stop when I let off the pedal. Usually at 30 psi. Seems to be more noticable in the rain. No one can figure it out.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have had other people mention traction bars and air bags. I just think it is not right that you buy a F350 and have to add additional parts to correct it. Most people that are buying a ton truck are buying it to pull with, not a grocery hauler. I already had to pay the dealer 270.00 for the shims and hate to keep throwing parts on it when nobody can tell me that it will correct it or not. Searching for answers.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Schrage View Post
I have had other people mention traction bars and air bags. I just think it is not right that you buy a F350 and have to add additional parts to correct it. Most people that are buying a ton truck are buying it to pull with, not a grocery hauler. I already had to pay the dealer 270.00 for the shims and hate to keep throwing parts on it when nobody can tell me that it will correct it or not. Searching for answers.
Not sure about the traction bar piece. Phil, does this happen in the rain for you or equally in both dry and wet weather?
Old 09-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I can't say about the rain part as I don't know if I've pulled it in the rain. I talked to a tech at H&S Performance today. He said the default shifting mode on the tuner has the torque converter locking up in 4th gear. He says with the added load that when it is shifting to 5th it is jerking as the rpms are to low because of the converter being locked up. He advised reinstalling the tuner but change the shift mode to schedule 2, where the converter don't lock up till 5th gear. I loaded my telehandler and hauled it about six miles with no jerking. However when coming home with the empty trailer it did start jerking when I was accelerating up an incline. At that time I see it was in 5th gear with converter locked up. It did stop when I stepped on the accelerator to get it to down shift. I think I am getting closer to figuring it out but not quite there yet.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

My 08 and 2010 did the same thing especially when it would rain or the humidity was extremely high. It was tied into the CAC. Just like you, letting off the skinny pedal took care of the problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 09-17-2013, 10:12 AM

Have you tried it with tow/haul mode enabled via the column shifter button?
Old 09-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I always pull it loaded in tow/haul. However when it did it last night with the empty trailer I did not have it in tow/haul. I was wondering about that and talking with tech again today at H&S he also said that might take care of the problem. I'm hoping!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 2010 F-350 and have noticed the same problem. At first I thought it had something to do with the cruise control. I would be cruising, trailer or no trailer, dump the Cruise Control, and nail the gas to pass cars. It would go into a violent shake.

I thought it was axel wrap, weird at high speeds, so I added Pro Comp traction bars. Again the violent shake would happen when hitting the gas. So I really started paying attention to the gauges when this would happen.

This is what I noticed.
Driving down the road
Hit the gas
Truck would down **** x2 gears, resulting in RPM's rising to 2500.
At 2500 truck would start to shake
Boost maxed out
All truck temps at operating temperatures.
Backed off gas, letting the truck shift into the next higher gear, shake stopped.

So then I tried to get the truck to shake from a start. Tried this when truck was just started (cold). Then again when truck temps were at operating temps. When bringing the truck up to speed, driving normally, truck got up to speed without shake.

Tried again when truck was cold, this time hammering on the gas, no shake.

Again tried when truck was at operating temps, hammered on the gas, no shake.

Third attempt was after driving 45 minutes, (did this several separate times). When hammering on the gas, truck would shift into 3rd gear and at 2500 RPM'S, with boost about maxed the truck would start to shake. Letting off the gas stopped the shake.

i too thought this only happened when driving up a hill, in humid or rainy conditions. Not the case I believe this is a combination of boost being maxed, RPM's at 2500, and truck running a touch hot.

At the time the truck (engine) was stock. FORD stated the DPF was partially clogged. Somehow the dealership unclogged the DPF, they reset the computer, reset the transmission, retrained the transmission, and no more shake. The only thing negative from this procedure is the truck was constantly going into "cleaning exhaust system, continue driving". And I mean every single time I started the truck.......

I brought the truck to a local shop that "specializes" in 6.0 and 6.4 Fords. They stated that running in a stock mode with the combination of truck running warm, boost levels up and 2500 RPM's the truck was starving for air, resulting in the shake, input of more gas and no climb of speed or RPM's. Installed cold air intake, H&S (running mild), DPF delete. No more shake no more "cleaning exhaust"
I think it was luck that fixed mine, but just waiting for it to happened again. What else have you guys noticed on your gauges when this happens? What is boost at, what gear, what RPM's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.