6.4 went into limp mode and then no start/no codes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 03:15 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 went into limp mode and then no start/no codes

I have a 2008 h and s tuned and deleted 6.4 with 55k miles. Driving to work this am and noticed that my tuned was off. Assuming the plug had come loose i wiggled it and as it powered on the traction light came on and the truck went into limp mode.

Not knowing what was going on i pulled over shut her down hoping to reset whatever just happened and the truck would not start. Reflashed to stock and then back to the hot dam tune and truck fired right up. There was no CEL and no codes thrown. Anyone else run into this issue? Could it be from the tuner booting up while the truck was on? Ran the truck yesterday for about 200 miles and it ran and has been running flawlessly until today.

Egr coolers and egr valve are still on the truck as i have not gotten around to removing them yet. Thanks in advance for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 04:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

disconnecting the tuner while the truck is running can cause issues like this

I wouldn't worry about it
Old 09-10-2013, 06:39 AM

I am going to take it for a ride when i gey off of work. Hopefully just a freak thing. Have had a knot in my stomach all morning trying to research what it could have been. Hard to determine anything wothout a code. Ill keep my fingers crossed that the tuner caused it. Thank you
Old 09-10-2013, 07:44 AM

next time it happens (hopefully it won't) you can turn the key to run and simply jump the starter trigger wire (located by the passenger side battery) to the positive battery cable post.

I've had this happen on a number of 6.4 trucks for one reason or another. Some strategies WILL NOT start even after reprogramming the truck. You must jump the starter wire. Now I just do that vs. waiting 10min to reprogram
Old 09-10-2013, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the info, i appreciate it. That is deffinately quicker than waiting 10 min for download.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:26 AM

you're skimming the surface on an issue I believe is present with tuned trucks, but haven't had the, uh.. joy? of discovering for certain....yet.....

it's my belief that the tables that are adjusted on the PCM account for the 'operational' tune, but not the limp true blue limp mode.. the true limp home mode runs off it's own script, or one specific to it that doesn't get accounted for when you tune the transient tables with a programmer..

I'm thinking what happened to you is the limp mode took over, and because your connection failed and the PCM tripped comms... in that mode, it went through a built in test (BIT), where it didn't find some sensors that joined Hoffa when you worked your exhaust over... poof.. a 'pull over safely' message likely briefly appeared before the truck killed itself...

I asked H&S about this, but didn't get a response.. it's a little worrisome because it could happen when you're out on the road a good distance from support.. it seems a 'fix' would simply be re-drafting fomoco scripts for the limp home mode(s)..

mebbe I'll ask them again.. and hope for a response..
Old 09-10-2013, 10:35 AM

This is what I am worried about. I do tend to drive 75-100 miles from home for work on occasion. If i find the truck is fine and continues to run fine I do not like not knowing what caused this. Its great if i can bypass and jump the truck but what do i do when this or a redownload doesn't work and I am 4 hours from home with my boat in tow. Makes me not trust my truck so much. Up until this point the truck has been great for the last year I have owned it. I deleted the truck myself and from what I can tell the truck was babied before I
owned it. Have to drive for about an hour and a half tomorrow each way to get to a job site I am managing and if the truck is running good tonight I am going to be nervous my entire commute tomorrow. Only upside is that if it is a one time freak glitch and clears itself atleast it is an easy and cheap fix
Old 09-10-2013, 11:22 AM

Don't worry about it. Doesn't even phase me when I run into this anymore. Makes you look like a hero when you get the truck running in two seconds after somebody has been messing with it for hours
Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
This doesn't make any sense to me. The H&S does not need to be plugged in for the tune to be active. You can remove the Mini Maxx and it will still be tuned.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:11 PM

You most certainly can. But if you unplug it while the truck is running, you may put the truck into this state.

Can also happen if the HDMI cable or OBD connector are flaky.

Seen all of the above first hand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.