6.4 Squeak/Chirp - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 Squeak/Chirp

I have a metallic like squeak/rattle/chirp (don't know how to exactly describe it) coming from my truck after sitting for 2 weeks. When I parked the truck no noise what so ever, start it up and ever since I have had this sound. The sound seems to quiet down after it gets to oper temp. you can hear the sound better from the driver's side wheel well and underneath, possibly near the egr cooler. The sound seems to rise with rpms. Truck runs like normal just kind of worried about what it could be.

Video of the sound:
YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Tensioners? Belts? I'd start there.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've done a lot of research on this too. Mine has a metallic-like chirp noise heard mainly at idle. Checked the belts and tensioners and all looked to have been replaced not too long ago...maybe chasing this noise! Sometimes I hear it more than others so I was hearing it yesterday and I got underneath with it running and the noise is most prevalent at the rear of the engine...I'm thinking the flywheel is cracked, but through my research I haven't seen many instances of a cracked flywheel. I know it's nothing internal because I just got back a favorable BlackStone report and the noise has been there since I bought it back in June.

I'm going to be taking a job at the local Ford dealer soon, so maybe I'll get to check into it...
Old 09-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to PSDfreak
Pour a very small amount of water on the belt while its running... If the noise goes away for a moment it is likely the belt. If not you can try spraying a bit on the tensioner/idler pulleys one at a time and see when it stops... That'll be your culprit

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 09-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Tried all that already...first thing I did. Didn't phase it a bit!
Old 09-07-2013, 06:15 AM

Chirp

I had the same noise, the belts looked good and no slack or movement on tensioner, decided to get a set of Gates idlers and tensioner with a new belt, chirp gone...it was a gamble but paid off. Seems to be common on the 6.4

Hopefully it is not a scored rocker chirp ....SMMastertech on youtube has a video on it search 6.4 chirp...its there.

Let us know how it works out
Old 09-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I saw that video when I first started researching. That noise he described as ONLY evident AFTER reaching operating temps. Mine will do it COLD, HOT...as soon as started or sometimes not until it's been run a while. Quite irregular at best.

Where did you source the Gates brand pulleys and belts from? Did you do both tensioners too?
Old 09-07-2013, 05:18 PM

local parts store had them in stock, they said they were a common seller, only did the alternator belt-tensioner and 2 idler pullies, seems to be the common ones to go, a/c is less common. most videos call for schroud removal, I did it by moving the CAC pipe = much easier and no time at all.. was a cheaper bet than opening engine, worked for me ,,,have 95k miles and pretty sure they were never changed although looked brand new,

I can describe how to do it if you like....1 hour including beer or coffee break

oreiley's carries them too
Old 09-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the info... I haven't heard the noise in a few days now. I'm more concerned about the lower radiator hose leak. Will be taking care of that issue first!

If I get in a jam with the pulleys and such, I'll hit ya up!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Been busy and havn't checked in in a while. Like matted2thefloor said, my belts and tensioners look fine and water didnt change a thing. As far as the rocker arm issue as toddster mentioned, he stated it starts when the truck gets to operating temps.

My truck ONLY does it when it is first started and for maybe 3-4 mins or until my temps get around 130-160. Once they reach that temp, the sound completely disappears and does not reappear until it is parked for a few hours and the temps cooled down a lil. Upon restart it is there until the temps rise again.

I would think if it was the belts or rocker arm it would do it more than just til my temps rise. I'm hoping it is nothing major, but I spoke with a Ford mechanic I am friends with and he said it was normal per the TSB, drive it and don't worry about it. That's hard to do and also annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.