Oil overfill... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil overfill...

I'm new to this Forum.Just joined a few days ago. I bought a 6.4 in sep of 07. It's a job 1 build. I noticed that im about 2-3 quarts overfilled. I called the dealership and the guy said it might be a stuck injector. So they towed it in. Today, I got a call from the tech. He told me there are no codes, and there is no fuel in the oil. The truck is constantly in regen mode, I did 125 miles and went from a full tank to 1/4.. Anyone have any advice?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Can you confirm it is making oil or is it possible that it was overfilled?

You might should try to get your own oil sample done.

If the oil filter was removed after the oil was drained from the pan and the plug was back in that could explain an overfill if the measured amount of oil was just added without checking it.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No..I know for a fact i put the right amount of oil in it..I took off the oil filter before draining the pan. I drained it again before they picked it up and it smells like diesel fuel a bit, and has little blue bubbles on the surface. I'm going to send a sample when I get my truck back from the dealership. Someone on this forum said that you can't start a warranty claim with an oil analysis..is that true?..

Last edited by TTpowerstroke6.4; 05-19-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:31 PM

I saw that too. I think the dealers service writer is who can make the call on what is wrong. Talk to the salesman, maybe they can help.

Making oil is not good but some are saying it's normal according to some peoples experience with it.

I think if mine did it and they refused to do anything I would get a few more opinions first. Including a certified letter to Ford. If I get no results I would resort to driving it 10,000 miles like that and see how full it gets, add some more diesel and see if I could blow it up. Failing that I'd set it on fire and send it to the bottom of the river.

Maybe just add diesel and bring it back in every few days demanding a new truck.

Buuut, that's just me.

I believe the high pressure pump is leaking, you have a bad casting, or a high pressure line in the top of the head is leaking.

Seems if it were an injector it would not be firing on that cylinder. It may not be easy to tell but Ford would have seen it. There would also be white smoke and maybe even diesel leaking out of the exhaust.

Last edited by DavidPhillips; 05-19-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

One thing I know for sure. Diesel fuel in the oil will lower the effectiveness of the oil. Wearing everything prematurely. I only drove 1500 miles and already have 2 quarts extra ...not to mention 8.5 mpg out of a SRW.. That's crap.. I paid 50 grand for this thing and expected a little more out of it..
Old 05-19-2008, 09:07 PM

Save some lab results.

Even if Ford does not acknowledge them in court they will come in handy.

At some point you might expect to see it start running away. If there is enough diesel in there it may start to combust and cause one heck of a fire. At least that's going to be my story. Heck with diesel running out of the turbos and all over the exhaust manifold who knows what could happen.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I'll definately send it out to get analyzed..really curious to see how much alum/metal will be in there . How do you like your truck so far?..any problems?..concerns?..
Old 05-20-2008, 05:54 AM

I have had no problem with mine. I like the truck a lot. It seems that a few of them have the fuel in oil problem but with 30,000 on mine I doubt if it's going to have the problem.

From what I hear they are buying back the ones that are doing it.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So..got a call from the tech.. "There is no problem with your truck, we drove it for 14 miles, and didn't throw any codes and no new fuel in the oil".. guess I'm just going to drive it till something happens..
Old 05-20-2008, 05:49 PM

Make sure they put this in writing on the service complaint, that way you can get several of them and show it has been a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.