New to 6.4 Heavy White Smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 07:41 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to 6.4 Heavy White Smoke

I recently just bought an 08 f350 crew cab with the 6.4 with 136000 miles on it. The check engine light is on with 2 codes P2452 and P2002. The truck is completely stock besides a DPF back dual exhaust. The truck is getting 10.7 mpg on the gauge in the truck although I have not hand calculated. The white smoke starts pouring out after driving for about 10 minutes, mostly on decal or at a stop. I mean pouring out, its actually embarrassing. I have noticed that the truck will say "cleaning exhaust Filter" but even after driving all highway for 50+ miles it will still do the same thing and blow the white smoke. I have also noticed that it is using some coolant from what ive read on here could be a bad egr. I also notice the turbo seems to "fart" white I let of the accelerator. Basically I want this white smoke to stop and will do whatever I have to do, i.e., DPF Delete EGR Delete Tuner. I am looking for some input for a fix. or any possible problems it may have. I am in MA and if anyone knows a shop around here that would be great too. Thanks! I wish this 6.4 was as dependable as my 7.3!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If you're losing coolant it's not good. Could be EGR cooler, EGR valve (early ones were water cooled (but this is unlikely at best), head gasket (unlikely) or injector(s). I have seen bad injectors make the truck smoke white, but you will smell fuel and the "thick white smoke" will be not as thick as a coolant leak into the engine...
Old 08-13-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbigrdg View Post
The check engine light is on with 2 codes P2452 and P2002.
P2452 is the DPF pressure sensor. Located on the exhast between the CAT and the DPF. It is not one of the 3 temp sensor located on the exhaust. The pressure sensor is the one that doesn't look like the others. It probably is bad or your DPF is in need of service (unlikely IMO). First check that the sensor is plugged in and not badly sooted up.

P2002 - most likely throwing a code because of your duel exhaust. Basically it's telling your truck that you are allowing too much air flow for what the DPF expects.

As for the white smoke. Based on the odds of what others experience, it's most likely an internal EGR cooler leak or failed EGR valve.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:40 PM

The reason you are getting 10 mpg is because the truck is in constant Regen mode. (Cleaning exhaust filter). You are in constant regen mode because of those codes. Fix what causing the codes (hopefully just a bad sensor) and you should get 15-17. Better yet get an economy tune with DPF delete and get 18-20. Heck go for the EGR delete too and perhaps solve the white smoke issue. I know deleting emissions equipment is not for everyone but I think it's been well proven that EGR and DPF's are not your truck's friends.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The white smoke is most likely from a defective DPF system. It is the excess diesel fuel that is injected late into cylinders #7 & #8 during the regeneration process. Most of these trucks smoke to some degree when the regeneration first starts because the fuel is being injected late after TDC and the system has not built enough heat to fully ignite the diesel fuel that is being added to burn out the soot from the particulate filter. The "White" smoke is from cold incomplete combustion of the diesel fuel which condensates after being compressed but hasn't burned. If you stand by an exhaust pipe when its belching condensated diesel "white smoke" it will make your eyes water & smells very acrid. This is in contrast to steam exiting an exhaust pipe from a coolant leak which disapates quickly,& may smell a little like antifreeze but thats about it.
Like mikemass says, repair or delete the DPF & that should solve your problem with the smoke & bad fuel mileage.
You may still have a egr cooler or head gasket issue though if you are loosing coolant.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:24 PM

If it's in constant regen you need to check your oil level. These trucks will make oil if the regen goes to long or too often. This happened to me and when I drained it in my garage it overflowed a five gallon bucket.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:09 PM

If the truck is in constant regen, you need to quit driving it and fix it. Otherwise you will be in for thousands of dollars in repairs. Get yourself a programmer and an EGR delete kit. DPF system is easy to remove. EGR delete will have you swearing frequently and is time consuming. However, it is finished. Just plan to take a saturday and sunday to do it. Park your truck until then unless a pressure sensor fixes the issue.

As for fuel economy, my truck averaged right around 11 stock. It depends on how you drive, and how much time is spent on the highway compared to city.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.