Turbo issue when DPF cleaning - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 05:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo issue when DPF cleaning

Was driving home from work Friday and my POS DPF started cleaning while on the highway. I was cruising about 55-65 and noticed every time I accelerated, the boost gauge would jump up halfway, stick there, and then "turbo fart" as the psi dropped when letting off the accelerator. This is the first time it happened. I pulled off the highway, restarted the truck, and the DPF cleaning cycle stopped and the turbo wasn't hanging up anymore.

So wtf was going on? I'm waiting on my Spartan from the UPS man, but I'd like to make sure I don't have any other issues. Curiosity is getting me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 06:01 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudebrah View Post
Was driving home from work Friday and my POS DPF started cleaning while on the highway. I was cruising about 55-65 and noticed every time I accelerated, the boost gauge would jump up halfway, stick there, and then "turbo fart" as the psi dropped when letting off the accelerator. This is the first time it happened. I pulled off the highway, restarted the truck, and the DPF cleaning cycle stopped and the turbo wasn't hanging up anymore.

So wtf was going on? I'm waiting on my Spartan from the UPS man, but I'd like to make sure I don't have any other issues. Curiosity is getting me. Thanks.
This only happens when the DPF is regen mode?
Sticking Vanes in the turbo?

How many miles on your truck?
Check the turbo oil?
When was the last time it was changed/checked the turbo oil?
Old 08-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The variable vane turbos are notorious for sticking. They might even be sticking because the turbo is getting hot and things are expanding. You might have some coke buildup on the vane plate (don't know the technical term) and this can cause the vanes not to rotate properly.

Things you can do:
-Drive it hard for a little bit and really exercise the turbo. This helps both burn off the coke and work the plate/vanes.
-Disconnected the turbo vane actuator linkage and work it with your hand. See if it's hanging up.
-???

If it is hanging up, you can pull the turbos and see if they're dirty. The other problem you may have is that the slider pin that works the van plate inside the turbo might have wallowed out the slot in the vane plate. This can be replaced I believe.

How do I know all of this having never done it? YOUTUBE baby!

Old 08-07-2013, 11:47 AM

35,253 miles. Only happens when in regen mode. Mpg went from ~20 to ~6 on the lie-o-meter. I give the turbos plenty of exercise when not in regen. I can't get it to duplicate the problem when not in regen mode. No codes.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:02 PM

Could it be that I'm not driving fast enough for long enough? After getting off the highway I have about 5 miles of suburban driving under 50mph. I pulled over and shut the truck off and then restarted it, and it ran fine, even when hammering on it, and then the regen process started again and it started acting up.

My Spartan was waiting on the door step for me, so I want to go rip this ****ing nightmare dpf off.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:13 PM

Well I doubt it has anything to do with the DPF. It's something to do with the regen mode. Maybe the flash you have needs to be updated? Eh, you could just install the Spartan tuner and see how it goes.

Personally, I would want that issue fixed before I do any mods. What happens when you want to sell it one day or decide to revert back to normal. Also, might want to let it finish a regen before taking the DPF off so it's clean enough for when you have to reinstall it.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:18 PM

One thing I notice on mine when in regen is that if I'm in cruise control and climbing or the ECM is trying to increase the throttle, I get very light bucking. Nothing drastic, but I can feel it. Feels kind of like its shifting gears. I wonder if I have a mild version of what you're experiencing.

On the video was that big clunk the noise you hear? It didn't sound like the turbo as much as a buck.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:39 PM

Oh that clunk was just me hitting a bump. I also noticed that sometimes under light throttle, the boost will creep up a tad on its own, if that makes sense. I have some driving to do over to get some PB Blaster and then head to my garage, hopefully the regen mode finishes. Once again, the only time I experience these issues is in regen mode, and it throws ZERO DTC's.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:44 PM

Oh now I hear the turbo fart at the end of the video. Yeah, that is a weird sound. You know it almost sounds like a muffled backfire, nothing huge but that's what it might be. My motorcycle did that blop blop blop when I'd let off the throttle and the rpms dropped with fuel in the exhaust. I was running rich due to my tuner and when I'd romp on it and fast roll off, it would happen.

Might be a slight back fire caused by the drop in rpm and the excessive fuel. But it would need oxygen sucking in somewhere in the exhaust for that to happen. Check all your boots and seals around the turbo. And when I say backfire, I meant combusting of unburnt fuel. Not necessarily a loud blast out like you might initially think.

Any known exhaust leaks?
Old 08-07-2013, 12:51 PM

No known exhaust leaks. I just installed a CAI last night and haven't had any issues until regen mode today. My head was all around the turbo and I can't see any signs of leaks and everything looks tight. This issues sparked last Friday, when the truck was totally stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.