Smoking/burning smell normal? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smoking/burning smell normal?

Hello fellow 'strokers!

I have a new 08 with 1100 miles on it, 300 were from the dealer. In those 800 miles, on 3 separate occasions the truck has randomly started to smell as if it were on fire...really bad. People give me the look on the street like..."uh, do you know your truck is about to catch fire?". I have also noticed white smoke coming from what seems to be the underbody, and, although I am no expert by any means, might be coming from a portion of the exhaust (not the tip, the underbody area), such as the cat or so it seems. The truck is completely stock, save for a bit bigger tire.

Anyhoo, I called up a service advisor from the dealer I bought her from, and he says " oh, thats just regeneration". 3 times in 800 miles? hmm. Horrible burning and smoke? hmmmm. But, yep, he says regen.

What say the real folks here? I don't want to burn up my baby, and would rather "know what I am talking about" to some extent when I take it in and hear the regen story...or, perhaps he is completely correct and it is regen. However, this is just crazy...and a bit embarrassing.

Oh, yeah, and I get 7.9 MPG around town, 8.4 on the hwy, which I would be screaming about except it seems quite a few folks on here have bad mpg, but that seems like REALLY bad mpg.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2008, 03:41 PM

Probably just regen............the more city driving the more it will regen.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Look under there and see what's burning. That don't sound right.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's tough to say what exactly it is coming from, I'll have to wait for the next "meltdown" to really get a good look. Is AT LEAST 3 regen's in 1100 miles normal even for city driving?
Old 05-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Well the burning smell is normal, but not the white smoke from under the truck, I would explain to the dealer that you see smoke under the truck, so its at least in their system if something happens.....also the mileage is really low......you should at least see 10MPG unless your haulin' azz everywhere
Old 05-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I take it very easy driving. I stay out of the turbo as much as possible...at 4.50/gal, I can't justify driving like I stole it! I will drag it over to the dealer if I see smoke again. Thanks fellas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.