Coolant loss--no white smoke and delete/block off plate questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 04:16 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant loss (Updated with Oil Analysis

I have had my 08' F250 for a little over a month now and I'm trying to track down where I might be loosing coolant from.

A little background on the coolant loss, I purchased the truck and failed to detect that the degauss bottle was completely empty from coolant (huge oversight on my part). Since it still has the Ford Gold in the system, I went to the dealership and bought a gallon to replenish the system. Come to find out, it was over a gallon low on coolant.

After filling it up, I monitored the system to see where it could be loosing coolant from. I found the hose that connects the vertical and horizontal EGR coolers together leaking slightly. I tightened that up and thought that would have been the remedy for my coolant loss. Since adding the coolant back, I have driven a little over 1,000 miles (truck has 113k miles on it) and when I checked this morning I noticed that the level had dropped approximately 1/4 on the degauss bottle. I haven't found any leaks other than the one I previously mentioned.

Does this sound like a symptom of an EGR cooler failing? Is there any way to troubleshoot this to be the case? The truck came with an STC tuner and I just recently changed from the Performance tune to the Tow Tune since I didn't need the extra power. When I installed the Tow tune, I disabled the EGR system to see if that would help at all--which it didn't.

I'm a bit perplexed since I see zero white smoke at startup, or while driving. I plan on swapping out the coolant with some Caterpillar stuff and doing the flush in the next few weeks, so I was hoping to track down the leak before then. The truck has black version of the coolant hoses, but it doesn't seem like anything is leaking from them at this point. Also, per the OASIS report, the radiator is what originally came with the truck--which I've heard have had some issues with splitting at the ends? I would imagine that this would be very obvious if that were the case.

Finally, is it safe to install an EGR delete/block off plate with the tuner that I have? I have done some research over the past few weeks and it seems like some people on the forum say that a delete, or even a block off plate, requires a way to bypass the excess exhaust pressure either through a blow off valve or similar device. I plan to keep the Tow tune installed and am not looking for high HP numbers by any means. Also, is there a kit out there that seems to be better than the others? Thanks in advance! Sorry for the wall of text....

Sent from my Nexus 10

Last edited by diode_ee; 11-05-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 03:37 AM

Nobody?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 08-06-2013, 07:33 AM
Premium Member

Get a blackstone report and see what materials are high?

Do you have the DPF still and doing regens with EGR off?
(Wondering if EGR must be functioning to do DPF regen)

Have you done a EGR block off yet?
Do the block off and see if coolant drops.

Do you have the double o-ring coolant hoses?

If so have a compression check done.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:22 AM

make sure there is no coolant in your oil from the front cover.
Also make sure you have the updated hoses on your truck, as someone stated the double oring, but REALLY look for any white powder around ANY hose fittings, if i do recall there is also a recall where they install a fitting make sure that is done CORRECTLY it says right on it "degas side" ect..
but u can try hooking up a pressure tester and seeing if coolant starts dripping anywheres.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebob2001 View Post
make sure there is no coolant in your oil from the front cover.
Also make sure you have the updated hoses on your truck, as someone stated the double oring, but REALLY look for any white powder around ANY hose fittings, if i do recall there is also a recall where they install a fitting make sure that is done CORRECTLY it says right on it "degas side" ect..
but u can try hooking up a pressure tester and seeing if coolant starts dripping anywheres.

Sorry, this truck is new to me so can you elaborate on what front cover you are referring to?

The hoses on the truck are not the updated two o-ring ones. I went under there today and it looks like the hose running from the water pump (I would call lower radiator hose) has some small amount of coolant on the joints of the hose. I think that must be where it is leaking from. I called the dealer and they said that there are 3 radiator hoses: 1 hose for the upper radiator (new part number), 1 hose that connects the water pump to another hose (new part number), and 1 that connects the water pump hose to the bottom of the radiator (no new part number).

Since the hose that connects to the bottom of the radiator does not have an upgraded part number, I'm assuming that this one is okay? I can't tell if this one has the two o-rings or not, and if I need to order it, I'll put it on order. Kind of crazy that I have to spend $150 to fix something that Ford knew was an issue. Oh well, I'm just thankful right now that I was able to spot something leaking. The leak must be so small that it evaporates before it can drip down.

Along with the hoses I ordered the degas cap and a set of thermostats. Once I am convinced that the leak is fixed, I'm going to perform the flush and put some elc back in there.

Is there any other symptoms that I should look for besides white smoke to indicate that there is a leaking EGR cooler? I'm only about 2k into this oil change, but I plan on sending of a used oil analysis in a few more thousand miles to see if there are any crazy amounts of values to be sure.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSchretter View Post
Get a blackstone report and see what materials are high?

Do you have the DPF still and doing regens with EGR off?
(Wondering if EGR must be functioning to do DPF regen)

Have you done a EGR block off yet?
Do the block off and see if coolant drops.

Do you have the double o-ring coolant hoses?

If so have a compression check done.
I will send off for a Blackstone report once I get closer to the oil change interval. I may just change it at 3k so that I know what is happening with the truck.

The DPF was deleted on this truck when I purchased it. I am running an SCT tuner right now with the EGR turned off.

I just ordered the hoses after finding some coolant on the hose that runs from the water pump down to the center of the radiator. How difficult is it to change this one and the top one out? I'll monitor once I get those installed to determine if I can perform the flush.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diode_ee View Post
I will send off for a Blackstone report once I get closer to the oil change interval. I may just change it at 3k so that I know what is happening with the truck.

The DPF was deleted on this truck when I purchased it. I am running an SCT tuner right now with the EGR turned off.

I just ordered the hoses after finding some coolant on the hose that runs from the water pump down to the center of the radiator. How difficult is it to change this one and the top one out? I'll monitor once I get those installed to determine if I can perform the flush.
Easy but tight.
Check youtube for 6.4l coolant hose
Old 08-06-2013, 04:42 PM

Awesome, good suggestion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 08-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Be careful until you get this narrowed down. If the water pump cover is leaking, it could only be a slight pin hole spitting a tiny bit at a time into your oil. If this is the case, then you are probably going to have some problems if it's not caught soon.

First thing, don't panic. Second thing, grab a cold brew. Third, be ready to deal with this. If the cover is leaking you will have contaminated oil. This will cause a brown turd froth to develop in the engine. If not caught soon enough, well you can imagine what might happen.

Blackstone oil analysis is crucial on every oil change you do until the problem is tracked down. I would do the analysis right now. Don't even worry about the cost of the changing oil even if it's fresh. Just do it. I did it when I bought my used truck with only 1200 miles on the oil. The report was great and I stopped worrying.

You might also have a bad EGR cooler. This doesn't have to produce white smoke out the tailpipe, especially if its a pin hole leak. Won't show up in high volumes of coolant through the engine. Try this, hold your hand right at the tailpipe for a good while. See if any type of condensation or moisture forms. This will be ever so slight if it's a small leak. Also, don't huff it, but take a light sniff of the exhaust. Coolant stinks and there will be a prominent odor if it's coming out the *** end.

Let us know, and post anything you can to help out others.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the responses! If there was any leaking of coolant, wouldn't the oil be more of a brownish color and frothy and not the black that I'm seeing now? The only other time that I have dealt with coolant in the oil was with my 1987 F250 with a 460 engine. The head cracked and it didn't take but a few miles for the oil to get discolored.

That is great advice regarding the tailpipe. I will do that next time I get home from work and see if I can feel/smell anything coming from the exhaust. I would really love to get this baby ready for another 100k miles, but I can only do it one step at a time. I currently have 113k on it, but I hope to have it for the next 10+ years.

Sent from my Nexus 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.