4th Radiator in two years...wtf - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4th Radiator in two years...wtf

2008 F250 2wd

Mods:
5inch straight pipe
EGR delete
drop in air filter
H&S mini max @300 hot damn
Ranch hand front bumper
2 inch lift front and rear

First Time radiator was replaced the updated hoses and thermostats were installed. In march, over spring break the radiator was replaced again, along with a new water pump seal (so i was told). Now here four months later its leaking again, same as always, driver side, between the plastic and aluminum.

Any Ideas why this is happening so much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Through a lot of reading here and elsewhere I have read that if the "T" wasn't installed correctly (it is directional)...it can cause this to happen. Check the "T"...coming off the degas bottle is a coolant hose and it leads right to it. The "WHITE" paint mark is what makes it directional and if I remember correctly has the word "DEGAS" stamped into it. Make sure the hose from the degas bottle goes to that side of the "T".
Old 07-13-2013, 08:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I take it your talking about the "venturi T"? My truck doesnt have that, the degas bottle is capped with a black cap. In march when i was having the third radiator installed, I questioned ford about that, they said my vin didnt show anything about the venturi T, then also after the radiator was installed the service writer told me that with the EGR delete that there was no need for the venturi T.... I have no clue.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

They say it's something going on within the cooling system that is causing the leaks...not faulty radiators...I wish I could remember where I read all that.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:23 PM

the tsb calls for updates of the upper and lower rad hoses with dual o rings, updated degas bottle and cap, venturi T, ( dont need if egr deleted), and replace thermo stats because of hyper extending that can cause the rad failures. If that doesnt work hold out another couple weeks and get an all aluminum rad from Mishimoto when they become available. Thats what I'm waiting on
Old 07-15-2013, 08:27 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfregulater View Post
the tsb calls for updates of the upper and lower rad hoses with dual o rings, updated degas bottle and cap, venturi T, ( dont need if egr deleted), and replace thermo stats because of hyper extending that can cause the rad failures. If that doesnt work hold out another couple weeks and get an all aluminum rad from Mishimoto when they become available. Thats what I'm waiting on

Does this hold true for all 6.4s? I am about to do an EGR delete and figure since my coolant will be out, may as well replace this stuff.

Do you have a link to the part numbers? I assume this is not warranty stuff, right?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2013, 09:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
Does this hold true for all 6.4s? I am about to do an EGR delete and figure since my coolant will be out, may as well replace this stuff.

Do you have a link to the part numbers? I assume this is not warranty stuff, right?

Thanks
Do it all!

I've posted the updated hose numbers before, I'll dig them out. Use CAT or Shell ELC (Extended Life Coolant) and do the thermostats if your taking your EGR off as they are literally right underneath it and very easy with the EGR off.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:52 PM

Official Ford Parts Site | Buy Motorcraft & OEM Ford Parts Online | FordParts.com

this is the same site the stealship parts dealers use....
enter your vin and go into the cooling section and look up your parts. Ive found if you bring a print out of these prices most of the time the dealer will match the price for you. If your rad is leaking right now and you EGR valve and coolers are already deleated, crack the cap on your degas bottle. You system will not build up pressure all the way hence your end cap will not leak on your rad until you find a suitable replacement.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfregulater View Post
Official Ford Parts Site | Buy Motorcraft & OEM Ford Parts Online | FordParts.com

If your rad is leaking right now and you EGR valve and coolers are already deleated, crack the cap on your degas bottle. You system will not build up pressure all the way hence your end cap will not leak on your rad until you find a suitable replacement.
If you decide to "crack the cap" make sure that you watch your fluid temp closely. when depressurizing the coolant it causes it to have a lower boiling point.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:15 AM

Agreed. I monitor my temp on my mini. Definitely don't go beating on her just take it easy till you figure out your next move and it'll be fine. I have been running mine cracked for about a month and a half now waiting on mishimoto, who keeps pushing back their all aluminum rad. I see no more then 3 to 7 degrees difference from where my normal running temps were at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.