6.4L problems caused by Stop-Leak additives - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 08:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4L problems caused by Stop-Leak additives

I tried this in the general 6.4L General forum and got no replies, so I guess I'll try again here in the 6.4 Problems forum

The purpose of this thread is to gather information to use against a local dealership who tried to fix a radiator leak, that they likely caused, by adding 2 bottles of stop leak additive to the coolant of my 2008 6.4L F350. I would really appreciate any replies or PM's if you personally know of any cases where stop-leak additives caused blockages or damage to a 6.4L diesel truck. It can be your truck or the truck of someone you know, and it would especially be helpful if you're a mechanic or technician that could provide any actual worst case examples. I know Ford has given technicians notices in bold print that says "NOTICE: Use of commercially available stop leak products in the 6.4L Diesel may result in engine damage.", and I have a copy of one of these warnings from Fords technician database, but now I need some actual examples damage that has resulted from stop leak additives being added to the 6.4L engine coolant.

As a personal example, I worked as a salesman at a Ford dealership for a while after I got out of the service. One afternoon I had a long talk with a service customer who was pacing around our internet cafe. Apparently he had been through 3 or 4 radiators on his truck, and when the next one started to leak during a road trip he tried to quick fix it with some stop leak additive . The service dept told him that the stop leak had plugged up his oil cooler and and some other things, but I don't recall his exact description of the troubleshooting and diagnosis. I do remember that he paid lots of money to replace the radiator, oil cooler, thermostats, water pump, and I believe he also had the heads removed and cleaned because they also found an issue with the head gaskets.

Again, if you have any examples like this to share please reply in this thread or PM me. If you would like to include names and locations that's fine, but it's certainly not required.

Also, if you would like more detail about my dispute with the dealership details are in this thread: Trip to dealership with 6.4L ends badly with unauthorized repair

Thanks,

Nate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I used to be a mechanic at a Honda dealer but serviced all different types of vehicles that would come in. I have NEVER heard of a dealership using stop leak of any kind ever. all technicians know that you do not try to use an additive to stop a leak, you replace the faulty part where its leaking. not just on a 6.4 powerstroke but on any vehicle. also, my cousin has a ford ranger and added stop leak and it ended up wiping out the water pump, thermostat and headgasket and ended up putting a new motor in it. hope this helps
Old 06-28-2013, 08:41 PM

Thanks man, but it would really help if anybody here had 6.4L specific examples. I know they are out there.

I had to get a lawyer and this will probably go before a judge because the dealership is trying to cover their butt. The judge probably isn't going to be a gearhead and he/she needs to see specific examples of what kind of harm this can cause to my specific engine which is the 6.4L diesel. We all know this was a bad move by the dealer, now I need to bring proof of why it's bad and what it might end up costing me to repair, both now and later if things start to have problems down the road. I don't want to be stuck picking up the tab for a clogged oil cooler, or heads, or anything else expensive in the near future because the dealership was stupid and my truck is out of warranty. Hell, I just replaced the AC compressor and dryer for $1300 out of my pocket, I don't need to pay for blatant dealership mistakes on top of that.

Last edited by Mr Hahn; 06-28-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:55 AM

on the 6.4 your coolant system is very sensative. one of the bigger problems that adding stop leak into your system is that it could cause the oil cooler to get clogged. this would not allow your oil to cool. it would run around $2k to fix. 14 hours of labor plus parts. there is an aftermarket fix that bulletproof diesel makes for this and it works well. I have it on my truck. it is only $1300. I would defenitely try to find the source of the leak and get it fixed and have your coolant system flushed by a ford dealer.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:04 AM

Thanks, I know I need to fix the leak by replacing the radiator, but that's not what I'm trying to ask for here. I know stop leak is bad for these trucks, but I need proof of this for a judge to hear. I can't go in and tell him stop leak is because everybody just knows it's bad. The judge will just laugh at me and send me home for lack of proof. I need to show examples of damage caused by using stop leak additives in a 6.4L engine. As I mentioned above, I've personally seen it with a customer while I worked at a dealership, but this needs to be more than just my word against theirs.

I'll try to rephrase the request again:

1) If YOUR 6.4L truck was damaged by adding stop leak additive please reply or PM and describe what happened.

2) If A FRIENDS 6.4L truck was damaged by stop leak additives please reply or PM and describe what happened.

3) If your a CERTIFIED MECHANIC and you've seen or heard of stop leak additives damaging 6.4L SYSTEMS please reply or PM. Also, please reply or PM if as a technician you've recieved any specific training or notices about not adding stop leak additives from Ford.

I hope this is coming across clearly and it would really help me out if I could get some of this information put together.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think your snapshot of the computer screen at the dealer is plenty enough ammo but hopefully someone else on here will help you out. We all know that there are some ASE Ford mechanics on here, but I hope they are not too scared to speak up for you. I sure think they would know.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke Techie

• NOTICE: Use of commercially available stop leak products in the 6.4L Diesel may result in engine damage.
    NOTE: If cooling system stop leak pellets are used, Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant may darken from yellow to golden tan.
    Dark brown could indicate a commercially available stop leak may have been used and could result in loss of coolant flow to critical parts of the engine. Flush the system and refill with the correct mixture of distilled water and Motorcraft® Premium Gold Engine Coolant. Refer to Cooling System Flushing — Gasoline Engines or Cooling System Flushing — Diesel Engine in this section.

Workshop Manual.

Section 303-03. Engine Cooling, Diagnosis and testing.

That's a direct cut and paste.

No special training, just reading/comprehension I've picked up over the years. Sounds like a top notch shop.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:27 AM

Still looking for input as I described above.

-Nate
Old 07-14-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post
  • NOTICE: Use of commercially available stop leak products in the 6.4L Diesel may result in engine damage.
    NOTE: If cooling system stop leak pellets are used, Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant may darken from yellow to golden tan.
    Dark brown could indicate a commercially available stop leak may have been used and could result in loss of coolant flow to critical parts of the engine. Flush the system and refill with the correct mixture of distilled water and Motorcraft® Premium Gold Engine Coolant. Refer to Cooling System Flushing — Gasoline Engines or Cooling System Flushing — Diesel Engine in this section.

Workshop Manual.

Section 303-03. Engine Cooling, Diagnosis and testing.

That's a direct cut and paste.

No special training, just reading/comprehension I've picked up over the years. Sounds like a top notch shop.

May need to get ahold of a workshop manual as evidence or perhaps if you, Nate, can corner the dealership and have them acknowledge Big Angry's findings, how can they ignore? I'm sure they will find away though.

Lastly, is this stop leak product a Ford brand or did they take a trip to wally world and get something?
Old 07-15-2013, 06:38 AM

I have the manual, and I have a screen shot of the online technician site that has the same warning, but that's not enough to go to court with. Please read my posts above, I've been very clear on what the lawyer says I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.