PCM Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 05:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PCM Issues

Okay, bought a 6.4l 2008 Job 1 with an Edge tuner plugged in to the OBDII port with the economy tune on it.

Took it to a dealer for an A/C issue and got it back with a check engine light on and the tuner unplugged. I went to plug in the tuner and it wouldn't let me change the programming.

Then I decided (after the fact, like an idiot) to return it to stock. This took about 5 seconds, tops and then it ran like a dog. Then I attempted to set the tuning back to economy and the Edge tuner told me it needed updating.

I plugged it into my computer and updated it and then set the tuning back to economy. Still running like a dog.

Now, I take my truck to the dealer again, as they have the parts for my A/C in and *before* I give the truck to the dealer, I return it to stock this time. Dealer calls me on Monday and says, the truck is flat DEAD. Zero charge in either battery and the meter doesn't even bounce -- at all.

So I say, great, put in new batteries. Dealer calls me after another half-hour and says, "We can't get your PCM to do anything. It's like it doesn't exist. We need your second key to reflash it." I don't have a second key, so they attempt to make one and the PCM is "unresponsive"?!

Now, my formerly running truck is completely dead, sitting in the dealer's bay and they claim I need a new PCM.

I am so angry at this point, I'm ready to have the truck towed out of the dealer's bay and back to my house. I think they are bending me over and I was just wondering if anyone has any real life experience that would substantiate or refute the following:

1) Dead batteries killed my PCM?
2) Edge programmer killed my PCM?
3) Maybe my PCM is still alive and this dealer is a pack of morons?

And finally, can I buy a PCM and install it myself? I see it's accessible and not a total PITA to get to, I'm just worried about the programming. My understanding with these trucks is they require some pretty specific tuning. Any aftermarket resellers that will hook me up with a new PCM already programmed for DPF/EGR delete? Or even just stock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes you can buy a new pcm and install it. whether your truck will run im not exactly sure.
i recently bought a truck with a spartan tune, but no handheld, so i needed a new pcm because i wanted an h&s tune. so i drove my truck to a buddys shop and i put in the new pcm and he reprogrammed it.
he reprogrammed it to the vin on my truck (not sure if he needed to do that). but he also had to reprogram it to my keys (two keys) had to do two keys, not sure why, but he couldnt do it any other way, so it looks like youre going to have to get another key.
he has the same stuff ford has as far a programing.
you can go to wrecker and get a new pcm, mine cost 225$. they guaranteed it had never been tuned before and would work. also needed a new tcm (175$) that was a pita to put in.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:24 AM

thanks for the reply. Good to know my only option is not the ford dealer.

Can anybody comment as to what might have killed my PCM?

Could a mix of programming killed it?
Old 06-23-2013, 11:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Get your truck outta there in a hurry man (Im hoping those morons did not fry your TCM too).
Give these people a call: All Computer Resources, Inc.
12415 SW 136th Ave.Suite 2
Miami, FL. 33186
Toll Free:1-866-699-5230
There is a few of these places out there.
I heard these people are good, but I can not vouch for them.
Price wise they are waaay cheaper than any stealership.
They will sell you a "plug & play" unit programmed to your vin.
Make sure they did a "blank path reprogram" so your TCM file is loaded properly.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll give these folks a call. In the meantime, can anyone recommend a competent service location in or near Reno, NV for service, should I choose not to do these items myself? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.