TRAILER BRAKE MODULE FAULT? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 08:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TRAILER BRAKE MODULE FAULT?

Hello I own a 2008 f250 cc l/b lariat edition. 50,000 miles. a few days ago after starting the truck I couldn't move the shift lever out of park. I shut off the truck and restarted, no problem with the shift. I experienced the problem a second time and during this episode the power windows failed to work and the odomiter/dash went blank for a few minutes and then everything worked. I checked the fuses and as the batteries where almosr 6 years old changed them. everything ran great. Last night the lights came on by themselves and when I went out to the truck the keyless entry would not work. I turned the light selector to off. This morning the truck won't start and I get the error message TRAILER BRAKE MODULE FAULT. any ideas whats going on. luckily I purchased an extended warranty a few weeks ago through costco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 09:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

those brake modules can wreak havoc.. basically, the computer protects itself by shutting off or limiting functions, which affect other things far reaching from a brake controller..

i'd be willing to bet once you swap it your issues disappear.. but, get it diagnosed professionally, first.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ty

thanks had it towed (flat bed) to the dealer this morning waiting for there diagnosis
Old 06-19-2013, 04:43 AM
Premium Member

what was the diagnosis?
Old 06-19-2013, 05:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I bought this truck new in 08. at 40k i developed the famous radiator leak. brought it to hempstead ford and told em about the tsb explaining that the thremostats can go bad causing the radiator seam to burst and making it a covered repair under the 5yr 100k warranty. they didn't want to hear it. took it to syosset ford kept my mouth shut and let em diagnose the leak as a bad radiator. I requested they perform the complete tsb recomended repairs and while they were working I asked them to check my thermostats. low and behold they were hyper extended and therby the whole repair was now covered unde rthe 5 yr 100k warranty. only problem was the mechanics at the dealership were knuckleheads. I had to return 7 times for coolant leaks. they also damaged and replaced my power steering cooler. long story short I sued em and won. I bought a 4yr 48k extended warrant from costco for 2800.
so now I had the truck towed to sayville ford (very satisfied with their service dept) the mechanics could not simulate the problem. they got some communication codes that they cleared but the truck seemed to be running fine. they also contacted my extended warranty company, who told them I was not covered for a trailer brake module. I ok'd the mechanic taking the dash apart on my dime to verify the module was bad as they couldn't find any problem. called the warranty company, they made an error I was covered. the dealer called, the trailer brake module was bad. they replaced the module the trucks running great and the whole experience cost me 100 bucks. (my deductable) I just paid this truck off and was thinking of trading it in before I bought the extended warranty but just didn't want that monthly nut. funny how a trailer brake module can cause such problems. any way you asked,I wasn't doing squat so you got the long winded version.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ror1103 View Post
I bought this truck new in 08. at 40k i developed the famous radiator leak. brought it to hempstead ford and told em about the tsb explaining that the thremostats can go bad causing the radiator seam to burst and making it a covered repair under the 5yr 100k warranty. they didn't want to hear it. took it to syosset ford kept my mouth shut and let em diagnose the leak as a bad radiator. I requested they perform the complete tsb recomended repairs and while they were working I asked them to check my thermostats. low and behold they were hyper extended and therby the whole repair was now covered unde rthe 5 yr 100k warranty. only problem was the mechanics at the dealership were knuckleheads. I had to return 7 times for coolant leaks. they also damaged and replaced my power steering cooler. long story short I sued em and won. I bought a 4yr 48k extended warrant from costco for 2800.
so now I had the truck towed to sayville ford (very satisfied with their service dept) the mechanics could not simulate the problem. they got some communication codes that they cleared but the truck seemed to be running fine. they also contacted my extended warranty company, who told them I was not covered for a trailer brake module. I ok'd the mechanic taking the dash apart on my dime to verify the module was bad as they couldn't find any problem. called the warranty company, they made an error I was covered. the dealer called, the trailer brake module was bad. they replaced the module the trucks running great and the whole experience cost me 100 bucks. (my deductable) I just paid this truck off and was thinking of trading it in before I bought the extended warranty but just didn't want that monthly nut. funny how a trailer brake module can cause such problems. any way you asked,I wasn't doing squat so you got the long winded version.
If you had not been under warranty, how much would this have cost to repair? I may have the same issue, just trying to gauge the wallet pain. Thanks
Old 07-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonsofduty View Post
If you had not been under warranty, how much would this have cost to repair? I may have the same issue, just trying to gauge the wallet pain. Thanks
the module installed ran 400 bucks. by a ford dealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.