08 6.4L No crank no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08 6.4L No crank no start

Okay, I have a 2008 6.4L that runs great, but about every 6 months or so it flashes messages across the info center such as check brake system, trailer brake module fault, oil light, security light. There is nothing to the radio. Glow plugs will cycle, can hear the fuel pump running but will not even crank. There is also a humming noise coming from behind the air filter box, that continues until you unhook the batteries or they run dead. Have had it to the dealer many times and they find nothing wrong with it. Any ideas? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

Is this just a random incident? How did you get it to the dealer if it wont crank or start?

Or are you saying this happens everyonce in a while to you?

Have you checked for faulty wiring, main battery cables? maybe in the main harness under the dash something is frayed?
Old 06-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is a random incident. But happens about every six months.

It starts with the power to the radio going out and then coming back on, the the check brake system message comes on. If you shut it off, then is when all the dash messages go crazy, then you can hear the humming noise and it will not start again.
This last time, I unhooked the batteries for a full 24 hours and it is just fine again.

It has been towed to the dealer in the past.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you ever solve the issue, mine does the same. Interestingly it will start with the remote when this happens.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooroo View Post
Okay, I have a 2008 6.4L that runs great, but about every 6 months or so it flashes messages across the info center such as check brake system, trailer brake module fault, oil light, security light. There is nothing to the radio. Glow plugs will cycle, can hear the fuel pump running but will not even crank. There is also a humming noise coming from behind the air filter box, that continues until you unhook the batteries or they run dead. Have had it to the dealer many times and they find nothing wrong with it. Any ideas? Thanks
Sounds like your batteries are on the way out....
Old 06-10-2014, 08:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am not sure, we haven't trusted it enough to take it any where lately. We replaced the GEM, there was only one dealer that we could find that would do it without wanting to do any diagnostics to the truck. As far as I can tell the problem is fixed but like I said we have not taken it any where(leave town with it). We do not have remote start so I don't know if that would have worked on ours.

The batteries have been replaced about 4 times, so unless it has to have Ford factory batteries, that is not the issue.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:17 PM

I am having the exact same problems. Any updates?
Old 12-19-2014, 05:47 PM

I fixed a door lock switch problem in my door wiring to the GEM assembly.

While doing so I caused a problem between the cab dirt and the GEM multi pin connectors. The problem comes from the choice of the GEM location and the the poor water or dirt proof seal of the GEM. The GEM is located down in the passenger side just above the floor, only 1/2 above the carpet. There are hundreds of small pins in nearly ten multi pin connectors.

By removing a connector caused the door ajar alarm to be stuck on. I had removed 4 connectors so I ended up cleaning those connectors and the poor electrical connection was repaired. These connectors only scrub for .1" which is not very much which .025" in size. After a few years cab dirt there is just a bunch of possible placed for a poor electrical connection.

I really could not see very much down inside the connectors. I used compressed air and a vacuum cleaner (if you use a vacuum cleaner don't touch the module or you may damage it with ESD (electro static discharge).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.