antifreeze barf out of rad cap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 04:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
antifreeze barf out of rad cap

so i recently bought a 08 6.4 with a DPF delete, EGR coolers still on, and with an H and S mini max running a HOT DAMN tune. Truck seems to cough antifreeze on Mild Tune setting out of radiator cap. Doesnt without the chip turned on. This is with normal driving.

Downloaded an update for the chip since it was way behind the times.

Im hoping this is the fix and im not looking at some headgaskets in my future. Anybody have a similar thing happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 05:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You could try change out the degas bottle cap. Otherwise it a good possibility it's head gaskets.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well, i did change out the cap and drove it around. Never leaked out of the cap with the no power setting set on my chip. Got reading about my chip, and the mild tune on my chip is 175 horse....which seems a bit excessive as well as the chip version being pretty obsolete. i think they have like 20 different versions past the version on my chip.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:25 AM

The mild should be 125hp on the hd300 tunes. You could just dial it back to no power level. Thats 50hp. I would update if your version is way back.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:26 AM

Where you running it pretty hard when it puked?
Old 06-01-2013, 07:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i got on it hard once or twice taking off on mild setting on a 45 minute drive of state highway driving with a little interstate driving mixed in.

so the no power setting is still 50 hp extra over stock? i figured no would mean no.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:38 AM

If you were to switch to the mild tunes the power levels are 0hp, 80hp, 160hp & 250hp. The hd300 are 50hp, 125hp, 225hp, 300hp. The easy tunes are 0, 40, 80 & 160 I believe but they function the egr. I would bet that since it happened when you were going hard with it that it's the gaskets.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i just dont understand this engine i dont guess. how can a head gasket be blown and the truck still run fine? If a gasket goes on any other engine, you lose power, blow white smoke, have water in oil, etc.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:30 AM

The gasket only lets go under higher boost situations and in some cases people go many miles with blown gaskets. Some people get really lucky and just run a low hp tune until they can get it fixed up. I don't know how to explain the mechanics of it but maybe someone else will shed some info to help clarify.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well thanks for all your help. I just got this truck from a local dealer under the understanding that it was fixed and the mechanic there kept replacing the venturi valve and they said he would do fine with it but one salesman would drive it and the thing would leak. that got me thinking that the salesman was turning up the tune. I drove it all day today and it didnt leak.

i have noticed the radiator is leaking a tad. why you would put a plastic to metal radiator in a diesel application is beyond me. the vibration is probably destroying those things.

anyways im taking it back to the dealer on monday...im sure he will love the blown headgaskets idea .... how do you check for this on these engines so i know before the dealer mechanic tries to blow smoke up my ***?

one more thing, i have the exhaust delete, but i noticed those cooler things(egrs?) are still on the motor, is there any way that those could be making it puke? those are a lot cheaper to delete than to fix headgaskets.

oh and btw thanks for all the help. i work on tractors and such but this ford (international)engine is ridiculous. ha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.