6.4 in the shop with motor noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 in the shop with motor noise

With 5400 miles on the truck it started making a tapping/ticking noise, took it to the dealership and that looked it over. They said at first they didnt have any idea what was wrong with it. Later that day they called me back and stated that a ford engineer said the #5 injector was bad and the truck would be better by the end of the week. I said great at least my 6.0 didnt start giving me problems until 12,000 miles. The service writer and me had some words about that. Long story short the injector didnt fix problem, they called in a rep and the rep and three techs drove it 250 miles and cant figure out wat is wrong with it, so they are fighting two navistar engineers into st. louis Monday to look at the truck. Something tells me i will be looking at Duramax's again. Really have too many problems with ford!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 05:50 PM
I wanna go fast!!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My buddies 08 is doing the same thing, and he has about 15,000 miles on it.. He has no idea what it could be.. It kinda sounds like valve tick..
Old 02-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Emergency Services

I know, but ford is confuse and dont know wat to do so their calling in resources. They act like i'm stupid and dont know a thing about diesels or trucks and the service writer told me i should stick to saving lifes and fighting fire
Old 03-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds like the service writer needs to get his head out of his rear. They need to tell you what is goin on with your truck. And If they won't you need to find another dealer. They will play you if you let them. Take charge. If they don't let you talk to the tech personally, walk back in the service area and find your truck and tell them if they are going to work on your truck you need to know what is going on.
I will not let my truck be serviced by the dealer I had bought it from because I was chased out of the service area. Now I understand the insurance liability but it was during an oil change and when I took it to another truck specific dealer they had no problems with me being in the shop.
Sorry for the rant. Just dont let yourself get handled.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:49 PM
I wanna go fast!!!

Yeah i agree you should take it to a other dealer.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:04 PM

Hmm, I haven't heard anything like that at our shop yet. But then again I work as a tech for a International dealership. I heard from one of the guys in our shop, that the Ford dealerships do not train their techs to work on the powerstrokes. They think they can figure it out on their own. Example, when the 6.0's came out, no one in NC at a ford dealership knew how to work on or diagnose them properly. They would call us at IH with their problem or bring the trucks to us. Sounds like their at it again. In my opinion, it sounds like you may have some type of valve train problem developing. Is the engine skipping or just ticking??? Does the tick get worse with an increase in RPM?? Could be anything in the valve train, if it's a tick.

Good luck my friend. I only have 1700 miles on mine as of now. But I've only heard good things about the 6.4's up to now. Guess time will tell.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:14 PM
I wanna go fast!!!

the only bad things i have heard is about the radiator.. my friends 08 has been doing this since it was new..
Old 03-02-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Powerstroked View Post
With 5400 miles on the truck it started making a tapping/ticking noise, took it to the dealership and that looked it over. They said at first they didnt have any idea what was wrong with it. Later that day they called me back and stated that a ford engineer said the #5 injector was bad and the truck would be better by the end of the week. I said great at least my 6.0 didnt start giving me problems until 12,000 miles. The service writer and me had some words about that. Long story short the injector didnt fix problem, they called in a rep and the rep and three techs drove it 250 miles and cant figure out wat is wrong with it, so they are fighting two navistar engineers into st. louis Monday to look at the truck. Something tells me i will be looking at Duramax's again. Really have too many problems with ford!
Yeah, you should go back to GM.. Run quickly.. I just came from there and you can have my problem child GMC, both of them actually... Might not have any better luck there as that is why I jumped ship and am now driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Powerstroked View Post
I know, but ford is confuse and dont know wat to do so their calling in resources. They act like i'm stupid and dont know a thing about diesels or trucks and the service writer told me i should stick to saving lifes and fighting fire

I don't think they act as if your stupid that is just the impression you get, but from what I can tell from your use of punctuation and grammar, that is debatable at this point..
Old 03-02-2008, 11:43 AM

mine makes the same sound it's coming from the left side of the engine i'm going to drive the $hit out of it and if it goes 'pop' then ford can put a new engine in it . I don't have the time or patience to take it there everytime I here a different sound it only has 1100 miles on it and it's not even broken in

maybe

Darrell
Old 03-02-2008, 11:44 AM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
dont go back to dmax! u r just having bad luck bud!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.