Loud rattle after EGR / DPF delete install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 09:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Loud rattle after EGR / DPF delete install

Hi all, so I took on the task of doing an EGR Delete / DPF delete on my 2008 F250 6.4L. The install went smooth, well it took longer than expected but for the most part it wasn't too terribly bad. But after filling up the coolant and checking all hoses and made sure there were no leaks or anything not disconnected, I finally cranked her up. Ok heres where the problem started, upon firing her up a loud mettle on mettle sound starts to clunk and gets louder when the truck is at full idle from what sounds like near the turbos. Ive looked at every inch of the motor to figure out where it could be coming from, no trouble codes, nothing is leaking, nothing is over heating or smells out of the ordinary. I cant find what is making the sound, it DOES sound like its coming from in the turbo housing (i think) but the EGR delete I installed doesnt havent anything to do with the oil lines or anything going to the turbos so I am kind of confused what it could be. I am afraid to drive it any wheres or even leave it cranked for more than 10-20secs because the noise is so loud. Anyone have any tips or ideas what it could be? At this point I am kind of clueless, any help would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance to anyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 06:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Take a short video and post it so we can hear it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-12-2013, 07:40 AM

Is there a chance you drop something in anything?
Old 05-12-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSheep5 View Post
Take a short video and post it so we can hear it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Great Idea, ill post one later this afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave at BCDiesel.ca View Post
Is there a chance you drop something in anything?
I hope not, but I could be wrong. That was my first impression, but I looked in the engine bay and even had a second and third pair of eyes and we could find the source or anything touching or rubbing together, or any tools that might of been left behind :/
Old 05-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

When I removed my EGR, the up pipe that fed the lower cooler wasn't bolted down on the bottom. There's a little tab on the back of the pipe that bolts to something (I can't remember what), and it was rattling. Well, it rattled until I removed the pipe entirely and relocated my EBP sensor.

Anyway, I'd check that pipe for rattles, since that was a problem on mine.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post
When I removed my EGR, the up pipe that fed the lower cooler wasn't bolted down on the bottom. There's a little tab on the back of the pipe that bolts to something (I can't remember what), and it was rattling. Well, it rattled until I removed the pipe entirely and relocated my EBP sensor.

Anyway, I'd check that pipe for rattles, since that was a problem on mine.
Thanks for the tip! But I finally found the problem and it was close to where you mentioned. I removed the bracket that held the lower EGR Cooler in place and I didnt realize those bolts had to go back in. They were the ones that connected the lower manifold to the engine lol. So that ended up being the loud noise, thank god it was something easy and nothing that was internal based. Thanks everyone for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.