No power to starter solenoid $100 PayPal'd to anyone that can figure it out tonight - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No power to starter solenoid $100 PayPal'd to anyone that can figure it out tonight

2008 6.4
DPF delete with H&S

That's right.. $100 PayPal'd to anyone that can figure it out tonight, so that I can make it to work tomorrow.

I was cleaning out my truck today in the driveway. I used the on board Via Air to blow all the dog hair out of the truck. I was starting the truck intermittently as the air cycled on and off to keep the battery's good. With the truck off, I blew the dash from the passenger side. All around the stereo, steering column, and gauge cluster. After that it would not start. Maybe blowing the dash was coincidental.

Everything seems normal, just won't crank. (No power to the solenoid)
Battery's are semi-new, have 13 volts, and are connected to a charger while I work on it.

I checked and swapped all the fuses that I can determine are associated with the problem. (Both fuse boxes)
I swapped the starter relay.
There is no power to the starter solenoid when I turn the key.
I don't believe there is power switching the starter relay with the key, but it has power to it.
Disconnected the battery's for 20 minutes, no change.
Tried the "single wire disconnect starter jump" trick (EGT13)... cranks, won't start
There are no codes
Reprogrammed H&S several times
Disconnected and reconnected the transmitting range sensor

I'm out of ideas... Don't have time to screw with it... Hate to have it towed to the stealership tomorrow but don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well I'm not familiar with the transmitting range sensor, but I would bet you blew something loose around the ignition. Try taking the cover off your steering column and make sure the electrical connection to the ignition cylinder is full seated. Since you can get the truck to crank with the help of a jumper wire, to me this sounds like a computer not telling the truck to start issue.

I assume you didn't change keys, and that the key will rotate all the way to the start position.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44magnum View Post
Well I'm not familiar with the transmitting range sensor, but I would bet you blew something loose around the ignition. Try taking the cover off your steering column and make sure the electrical connection to the ignition cylinder is full seated. Since you can get the truck to crank with the help of a jumper wire, to me this sounds like a computer not telling the truck to start issue.

I assume you didn't change keys, and that the key will rotate all the way to the start position.
I unwrapped the dash, and checked the ignition cylinder connection, no difference.

Same key, and tried the spare, no difference. Anti theft is acting normal as far as I can tell.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Looks like a tow and car rental tomorrow.......
Old 04-07-2013, 06:35 PM

Not sure if things changed with the 6.4 but I had a very similar issue and it was a solenoid on my passenger side fender well that was acting up. I had to cross the terminals with a screw drive to start the truck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-07-2013, 06:42 PM

Or on the newer models the starter relay is under the dash

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-08-2013, 04:18 PM

Try going from park to drive and back a few times, I had this same issue a few months back.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I purchased the truck as a certified used vehicle. I'm still in my warranty.

Called for road side assistance, they said I'm out of warranty. Long story short, they entered my information into their system incorrectly and I had to prove to them what the actual contract said. That took all morning.... Truck was towed to the dealership at 11:00 AM

Dealership says "First of all, the fuel pump is bad. We will replace it and go from there". Warranty has authorized the repair, but will ship a pump so they don't have to pay retail price to the dealership. 3 days..... (I agree to purchase new fuel filters)

I call warranty, we have a discussion about cost effective decisions, they agree to purchase the pump from the dealership.

Truck is already out of the shop, so pump goes in tomorrow. Until then, we are riding in a car. It's good to drive a car once in a while to remind you why you didn't buy one.

Last edited by Aaron871; 04-08-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Dog like trucks....
Old 04-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Premium Member

LOL! I see you made the switch into the dodge! Hope everything turns out well for your truck!

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.