08 ford f450 whistling noise when turbo needle gauge is half way - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 04:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08 ford f450 whistling noise when turbo needle gauge is half way

I've had my 08 f450 since July , the last month or two I've noticed a high pitch whistle and its not the noise the turbo makes when u let off the throttle. It's weird to me. If I mash down on the fuel pedal then I don't hear it but if I take off from a stop slowly and let the turbo needle on the gauge stay right at the half way mark then it makes that noise. If I let off the throttle and the turbo gauge drops down it goes away or if I punch it and the turbo meter goes over half way then it goes away as well. I'm thinking it has something to do with my turbo. If not then its a crazy coincidence . The truck has 140,000 miles and has plenty of power and no engine lights or anything. I'm a Harley technician so I'm mechanically inclined but this is my first diesel and I'm always listening to the motor and this noise just seemed to come out of no where. Any help or opinions would be great. If I left something out just ask and I'll let ya know. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is it more of a whooshing sound than a whistle? It could be an exhaust leak, which is common around the expansion joints on the up-pipes. Is your exhaust still in stock form?
Old 04-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It does have the stock exhaust still i don't think that's it but ill look thank you for the idea though. Thy could be it. It honestly sounds like a whistle and its intermittent. Come to think of it. It seems to go away when the truck warms up 15-20 minutes if driving which would probably be exhaust. It gets to temp and seals up the exhaust leak ! I'm gonna check it out. Thanks again
Old 05-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am having the same issue. Loud high pitch whistle, squeel like sound that sounds almost like it is in the cab. Half the time is seems to happen on a turn and the rest usually when starting off or reaccelerating, like he said aprox half boost. I have 08 250.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Pretty sure it is one of the turbos or some part of the system. The sound emanates from the center of the dash area which is where the turbo's are located. If so, I'm not sure if its a bearing in the turbo or some kind of vacuum leak or blow off valve (recirculator). Just bought the truck and its my first diesel so not sure how they work yet.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have replaced exhaust manifolds, gaskets and mounting bolts on a few 6.4L F-350-550 trucks. They all had warpped manifolds with either loose or broken bolts. They all had a whistling noise when part throttle accel. Check the mainfolds I see it alotg where I work.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessstout View Post
I have replaced exhaust manifolds, gaskets and mounting bolts on a few 6.4L F-350-550 trucks. They all had warpped manifolds with either loose or broken bolts. They all had a whistling noise when part throttle accel. Check the mainfolds I see it alotg where I work.
I had to take the truck to the dealer to get some keys made and programmed so I told them the issue for them to look and and they heard it but couldn't find the source. They said they checked for bost hose and intake leaks and didn't find any problems. Is there a "trick" for checking if the manifold is leaking? I have not had a chance to investigate myself yet and this motor is new to me.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I normally just look at the manifolds. Remove the inner fender liner to getva bettr loom and also look up from under the truck. The exhaust ports will either have missing or loose bolt or a black soot spot around the gasket area. I have been able to find which side with another person power braking the truck so the noise is constant you will hear it through the fender opening.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-29-2013, 05:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

arent turbos supposed to whistle?
Old 08-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I too have a high pitch whistle that has developed. I was wondering if you ever resolved the noise. Did it end up being the manifold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.