Cracked Heads- Fords Take - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cracked Heads- Fords Take

So here I am on the Cusp of a head stud and gasket install and come to find out I may have to replace the heads due to cracks. WTH?? After talking with a respectable east coast Diesel shop they said almost 85% of the heads they pull on 6.4's are cracked!! However I have heard very little about serious issues as a result, so I began wondering- Is this normal or a serious issue?

Analogy- None of us like seeing a new chip in the paint, but does that mean the truck will look like a New York plow truck any time soon?

So I decided to go my Ford subscription to see what the official answer is and here is what I found:

Cleaning and Visual Inspection

NOTE: The cylinder head cleaning and the cylinder head distortion check procedures are different than other engines. Watching the video prior to carrying out the procedure may be helpful if doing the procedure for the first time.

Click here to view a video version of this procedure.
NOTE: It is important that the cylinder head be thoroughly cleaned prior to taking cylinder head distortion measurements. Failure to remove carbon deposits or other material from measurement areas will result in inaccurate measurements.

Clean the cylinder head. For additional information, refer to Cylinder Head Cleaning in this section.
NOTE: Cylinder heads that contain carbon buildup in the coolant areas may show evidence of surface pitting when cleaned. Surface pitting in the coolant areas is not cause for replacement of the cylinder head.

NOTE: Staining of the metal surface is normal and does not affect sealing ability.

NOTE: Witness marks or indentations in the cylinder head resulting from the head gasket fire rings are normal and do not affect sealing ability.

NOTE: The surface finish on the cylinder head may appear to contain "record grooves", which is a normal condition.

NOTE: The cylinder head combustion chamber area may exhibit very small "surface fissures" or "microcracks" during a Magnaflux inspection process. These surface fissures or microcracks are typically located between the glow plug and the valve seats. They DO NOT extend into the coolant jacket and will not cause coolant loss or cooling system overpressurization. The presence of surface fissures or microcracks is not cause for replacement of the cylinder head.

Inspect the cylinder head for obvious signs of damage or distortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 06:08 PM

both of my heads were cracked when I pulled mine off for studs. didn't leak or use coolant.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:22 AM

i found out the hard way that my heads were cracked. Meaning that i studded and then the coolant still was being presurized. I replaced both heads.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:30 PM

08 smoker the exact same thing happened to me
Old 04-22-2013, 03:55 AM

sucks doesn't it. At least it appears to be fixed now.

FINALLY!!!!
Old 04-27-2013, 07:09 AM

Looks like I lucked out. Had my heads checked and not a single micro-crack anywhere. Whew! If I have to spend so much as another dime to fix this truck My wife will make me sell it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.