Fuel Tank capacity - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Tank capacity

Has anyone had this problem - I have an 08 F450 that supposedly has a 38 gallon fuel tank. I have never been able to get more than 32.8 gallons into it - that was running it down to the point that it was beginning to stall. I put some fuel into it and took it to the pump and put in the 32.8 gallons. I then took it into the dealer empty (0 miles and needle below E) and they put in 33.6 gallons (or that is what they billed me for.) They said that the Ford rep would look into it. No word from him even after returning it to the dealer again. The last time in I was told by the service rep at the dealer that I would have to take the problem up with Ford directly.

Has anyone else heard of this problem? I have had experience with many Ford vehicles and never had a problem of not able to put a "full" tank of fuel in. Having a vehicle that is not able to use 15% of its capacity is ridiculous, expecially when it means I could actually get more than a 300 mile range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Not sure on the 08's but on my 02 its supposed to be a 29 gallon tank I believe. Well when its near empty the pump shuts off at 25 gallons no matter what because of the roll over feature in the tank. If i pump really slow I have been able to get 31.5 gallons in my tank, so I don't really know what the actual size is.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have an 04 that has the 38 gallon tank and I have never been able to put more than 32-33 gallons in. That is when I fill up when the light comes on. I always figured that it was just a large reserve the way the have the idiot light set up so that you wouldn't run out of fuel.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That would be fine but when I try to put just a little more in slowly (after letting it sit and putting little by little in) I still can't get more than 32.5 usually. The 32.8 was after running it dry and putting maybe a gallon in to get me to the fuel station.

I can get 44.5-45 gallons into my Excursion (44 gallon tank). Of the many F350s and the F650 that I have used, it has always been that empty is empty and you can put close the capacity if not more fuel into the vehicle's tank.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Banned

You may want to look into the harpoon mod, but what you are experiencing is normal. When I first got my truck I could never get more than 33 in it when the dash monitor showed less than 10 miles to empty. I just figured that the idiot light was off. In reality the fuel fill neck and the vent tube extend like 6 inches into the tank which makes foam come up the filler neck way before it is full. I think this is a safety design to keep you from filling the tank to the brim in the summer and having expansion issues once the fuel warms up.

I haven't done anything different to my truck and I can now easily get 35 gal in the tank when the 50 miles to empty comes on. I guess I have just adjusted to a style that allows the tank to fill completely. I have actually put 39 gallons in it before.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will look into that. Thank you.

My problem now is that the dealer tells me I have a 35 gallon tank. I don't think I am making progress with them...
Old 01-06-2008, 07:44 AM

isn't this normal with all diesel p/u because the fuel foams? If you sit there and pump real slow for 5min once it seems like it's full i'm sure it would fill to the listed capacity
Old 01-06-2008, 08:04 AM

same issue here. i can never get the tank completley filled. 38 gal. tank, but only ever see around 33.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The Dealer looked at the tank said it was 38 gallons. (Already knew that.) They said it was normal to have such a large reserve. After picking it up I put in 32.9 gallons. Guage read E and distance to E was at 0 miles. I filled it up and waited and put the fuel in little by little. Still it was only 32.9 gallons. Fuel was dripping onto the ground. The needle said full (and the DTE read 547 miles with 4.3 MPG - it was reprogrammed while at the Dealer.)

Still doesn't answer why I when I ran it down and it was stalling I was only able to put in 33-33.5 gallons.

I am getting a little better mileage according to the on board computer, though. It is up to 9.4 MPG after 150+ miles, mostly around town. Still terrible but every little bit counts!
Old 01-06-2008, 03:40 PM

may it be possible that Ford grabbed a 33 gal tank off the shelf instead of the 38 gal thats on the sticker? Just thought it may be possible that it has the wrong tank installed. I had a 02 F-550 7.3 that showed a 41 gal on the sticker but actually had a 19.5 gal tank installed in the frame and it stunk with the MPG it got I never got anywere until I bought a tank out of a F-250 and put it in myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.