Issues with DPF delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 06:08 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Issues with DPF delete

So I decided to do a DPF delete. I have an SCT Xcal3 and had a delete pipe installed into the remaining factory exhaust. I decided to have a shop install the delete pipe after looking at the rusty bolts. The issues started with the sensor closest to the rear of the exhaust not coming out of the factory cat. I think it is an EGT sensor.

So when I picked up the truck with 3 of 4 sensors installed, I went to load the delete tune into the truck. I got a unsupported, or something, message.
Then my truck would not even turn over. The exhaust shop guy, who I have known for 20 years, said he started it right up and drove it out of the shop. I spent the next 2 hours on the phone with SCT updating and troubleshooting trying several failed attempts to program the truck and the tuner could not program the truck. We finally got the tuner to work and the truck to start, with a stock level, custom tune that eliminates the need for the EGT sensor. It also is running with a high idle. Anyone else had this issue? I plan to get a new sensor tomorrow.

One important tidbit. I had and Edge Jw/attitude hooked up to the truck most of this time. Prior to the last time we were finally able to program the truck I disconnected the Edge. I am not sure if this was preventing the SCT from working or not. I kept the Edge at stock truck settings. I wanted to leave it connected to use for the gauges and as a turbo timer. Is this doable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I am not that familiar with delete pipes, but there are sensors left in the exhaust even after installation of the delete pipe?
Old 02-09-2013, 05:05 AM

Yes it is doable to leave your edge in as gauges, not sure about turbo timer though? I leave mine in as gauges but when I installed my H&S the first time I removed the edge loaded the tune I wanted then plugged the edge back in to the obd2 port and set it to stock and sett all my warnings the edge will not shut the truck down once it meets the warning level but will flash on the screen as before.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
I am not that familiar with delete pipes, but there are sensors left in the exhaust even after installation of the delete pipe?
SCT likes to have the sensors left in. That is why there are delet pipes with bungs. I personally think it is a good idea. That way your tuner/programmer can use those sensors to read EGT and you don't need an aftermarket gauge. That is one feature I like about the Edge product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green037.3 View Post
Yes it is doable to leave your edge in as gauges, not sure about turbo timer though? I leave mine in as gauges but when I installed my H&S the first time I removed the edge loaded the tune I wanted then plugged the edge back in to the obd2 port and set it to stock and sett all my warnings the edge will not shut the truck down once it meets the warning level but will flash on the screen as before.
This is what I was hoping for. I'll try one of the performance tunes once I replace the missing sensor.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:08 AM
Premium Member

6.4 trucks don't need aftermarket guage for egt. Pyro is built in. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:12 AM

My understanding is that is one, or more than one, of the 4 guages that are part of the CAT/DPF assembly. If those are gone then an aftermarket one has to be installed. I may be wrong, but 3 of the 4 gauges are directly referred to as EGT gauges.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelhopper View Post
SCT likes to have the sensors left in. That is why there are delet pipes with bungs. I personally think it is a good idea. That way your tuner/programmer can use those sensors to read EGT and you don't need an aftermarket gauge. That is one feature I like about the Edge product.
IMO, the only EGT that matters is the pre-turbo one since if you delete the CAT/DPF there is nothing there you need to monitor the temp for. That pyro is unaffected by the installation of any exhaust (pre-turbo )
Old 02-09-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelhopper View Post
My understanding is that is one, or more than one, of the 4 guages that are part of the CAT/DPF assembly. If those are gone then an aftermarket one has to be installed. I may be wrong, but 3 of the 4 gauges are directly referred to as EGT gauges.

Depends on the tuner I'm sure.

With the Mini Maxx you disconnect the 3 sensors (and the extra connector) and that's how you roll. Totally simplifies the aftermarket exhaust installation since you can disconnect them at the connector (leave them installed in the stock exhaust) and not have to worry about breaking sensors trying to remove them.

I can see having to remove and re-install sensors, tuning, etc, can lead to the problems above.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Premium Member

my truck stayed in high idle until i replaced the last 2 sensors on the exhaust. Eric from innovative said that the you need all of the egt sensors functioning or else your truck will high idle. problem was solved for me
Old 02-11-2013, 08:16 PM

That did the trick. I replaced the one rear sensor Saturday and now the truck runs fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.